I just stumbled across this randomly on Smashboards. It was made on Jan 10th.
It was originally posted here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97190399&postcount=7815
It's a long list mostly explaining the characters that might appear in this game, whether they're playable or Assist Trophies. Some of them actually make perfect sense, and amongst the things it states, WarioWare's Ashley is indeed an Assist Trophy, as was confirmed on the 15th.
Although several of these sound reasonable, remember that these are still rumors,
so take them with a grain a salt, and compare them to whatever's officially revealed to us in the next following months up to AND after the release of Smash 4.
If a lot of these do turn out to be true later, and you check this list out now, you've already spoiled yourselves with what could be leaks, here. Be careful about that, because you might end up being hyped or disappointed depending on your expectations...
I currently believe that this list is false, because although some things were right, two things were right out of order.
I'll still keep this blog up and bold what has come true, because so far a couple things ARE right, but I don't expect the rest to be correct here by the time of the game's release.
From now on, wholly use this blog as a reference to what could and couldn't work towards Smash 4, and what this mysterious random person guessed right, because a lot this is still pretty convincing compared to the other speculation/rumor lists I've discovered.
- Rosalina is the only Mario newcomer.
- Waluigi and Toad were at once considered, but Waluigi remains an Assist Trophy, and Toad a move for Peach.
- Bowser Junior, Paper Mario and Daisy were never considered. Bowser Junior was planned to be an Assist Trophy, but was scrapped. (Welp! Never considered, huh?)
- Fawful is a new Mario Assist Trophy. He acts like Mr. Resetti, but will attack opponents at random. (So they might finally acknowledge a Mario RPG character better that isn't from Paper Mario?)
- Diddy Kong will be the next revealed veteran, to coincide with Tropical Freeze’s release date. (Lucario showing up before this is what convinced me about what this list really is.)
- Diddy is paired with Dixie Kong as a tag-team, similar to Zelda and Sheik. Dixie has a separate moveset from Diddy, but it’s still being worked on. (Could this mean that Diddy's Down B could be replaced? No more bananas?) Disconfirmed
- King K. Rool is a newcomer, the heaviest character on the roster. He is powerful and can KO light characters with 2 good Smash Attacks. His final smash has him use the blunderbuss and fire cannonballs from the top of the screen while they fly in from the sides as well. (That sounds awesome. Someone heavier than Bowser & DDD.)
- Gangplank Galleon is a stage. (It'll surely replace Wind Waker's Pirate Ship.)
- There is a new Zelda character, although it’s kept a secret so far. The names heard most often are Tingle and Ghirahim. (Could be Demise...)
- Ganondorf will be buffed, although he still retains some of C. Falcon’s moves. He can equip a sword using his Down Special. (That can work. Could also be saying that Captain Falcon will come back.)
- Chrom is a Fire Emblem necomer. He wields the Falchion, and does not replace Ike. (This did in fact say "necomer", and essentially says that the FE reps might be Marth, Ike, Chrom. That's a lot of blue hair...)
- Chrom is expected to be revealed to celebrate the anniversary of the first Fire Emblem. (That will be on April 20, Easter Sunday. We'll see if this comes true in either the Friday before that or the Monday after that.)
- Lyn’s Assist Trophy from Brawl has been scrapped. (So no more ingame characters to represent Roy's games?)
- King Gangrel and Aversa are the new Fire Emblem Assist Trophy. Gangrel runs around slicing with his sword, while Aversa flies above using Aversa’s Night. They are the “unexpected” Assist Trophy. (More Fire Emblem: Awakening references)
- No newcomers for Yoshi or Wario. (Figures...)
- Wario’s overalls are now his default attire. (That should please hdt a little if it's true. Now, about that explosive diarrhea problem...)
- The Kat & Ana Assist Trophy has been scrapped. (Because they've been replaced by... *look below*)
- Ashley from WarioWare is a new Assist Trophy.
- Ridley is a newcomer, and is scaled down a bit. It was a major feat on the development team. (Sounds pretty unbelievable...)
- No new Star Fox characters. (A.K.A Krystal disconfirmed. Probably for the better.)
- Falco is farther away from being a Fox clone. (So maybe more new normals & specials?)
- Wolf is no longer a semi-clone. (Also means he might be coming back.)
- Villager has a female costume. (Sounds neat!)
- Mr. Resetti returns as an Assist Trophy. (He needs to.)
- Tom Nook is a new Assist Trophy. He apparently drops bells across the stage, which causes opponents to trip. (Due to Sakurai saying tripping is removed, it’s unknown if forced tripping, like this and Diddy’s bananas will return, or if only accidental tripping is removed.)
- ^ Those parenthesis are a part of this list. It looks like only random or accidental tripping was removed if this is true. Still a step up from Brawl, though.
- Palutena is a newcomer, with her moves based directly off Uprising. (If this is true, Sakurai really did push to have more females in this game.)
- ^ HEY! This may be real, too! Look at this & this!
- Magnus is a new Assist Trophy, and acts similarly to Little Mac in Brawl. (He looks to be another great choice to represent Uprising.)
- All Pokemon veterans from Brawl return. (So far, only Pikachu & Lucario are confirmed.)
- Mewtwo returns. (Which would still add to the Pokémon cast even further. But at this rate, there might not be any playable characters to represent Gen V & VI.)
- Mewtwo and Lucario have very different movesets. (Not counting Project M, they already do, but I would expect Mewtwo to make some use of his Mega Evolutions this time. Maybe Lucario, too.)
- No new Kirby characters. (MK & DDD are the only consistently major characters in the series besides Kirby himself.)
- Meta Knight will be revealed sometime in the summer of 2014. (Maybe to surprise us with how much more balanced he may be.)
- No changes made to the EarthBound series. (Meaning we may get Ness & Lucas back. It's the only Nintendo franchise in Smash so far that has a definite ending, instead of a premature death or a cold hiatus like Metroid, Star Fox, & F-Zero. Smash, the Mother fanbase, the VC release of Earthbound, and a dedicated group of fans making their own Mother 4, are the only things left that are keeping this series relevant anywhere.)
- All misc. characters return (Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Ice Climbers)
- ^ (*shrugs* Retro characters.)
- Little Mac is a newcomer. He has the look from the Punch-Out!! reboot for the Wii.
- The Male Wii Fit Trainer is indeed an alt. for Wii Fit Trainer. (Why wouldn't he be?)
- Wii Fit Trainer has a butt attack. It is replaced by a headbutt for the male costume. (Lmaoooooooo! Luigi & Wario have both!)
- King Hippo is an Assist Trophy.
- The Ghosts from Luigi’s Mansion are an Assist Trophy. (Likely to pay another homage to Dark Moon.)
- Snake returns. (!!!)
- Pac-Man will be the final newcomer. He is a secret character. (He would probably be the last one in order to seal the deal of Namco Bandai making this game with Sakurai.)
The only confirmed franchises that weren't covered in this are Pikmin, Sonic, & Mega Man. They may at least get an Assist Trophy of some sort, but their revealed playable characters will likely be the only ones for their series in this game.
In other words, no Shadow, no Knuckles, no Proto Man, no Zero, no Louie, Alph, Brittany, & Charlie.
Essentially, if this is true, almost all of Brawl's roster is already confirmed to come back (assuming Sheik & ZSS come back, too), along with the return of a lost Melee character (Mewtwo) & probably over 10 newcomers. That's about 50 characters or more, depending on how you count them.
That's sounds fine & dandy at first, but take that this game will have a 3DS version into consideration. Could a Smash 3DS game even hold 50+ characters if that's the only thing holding back the roster's quantity potential?
One more time, these are rumors
, and although one of them was already confirmed (Ashley), another was obvious (Male Wii Fit Trainer alt), & I feel a bit enthusiastic about some of the rest, I really can't say that these could be true, yet.
Some of these seem to be a lot more believable than the others, but for all I know, almost everything here could still be nothing but a load of baloney.
Just wait and see what happens later. Please understand.