What types of custom stages annoy you the most?

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1
7:30 PM Jul 17 2009 2009
Artemis
Sage
Artemis rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.

What types of custom stages annoy you the most?
For me, it's the ones where there are few places for an opponent to fly off (or out, in this case) of the stage. I also hate the ones with spikes all over the place; they're nothing but a nuisance. The stages that have objects randomly floating around are annoying, too. Too many people make mistakes like this when building stages, which are 99.9-% of the time rated badly, but no one is learning from their mistakes. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Thank you, ExJackSilver!
7:36 PM Jul 17 2009 2009
PSS
PSS helped a member with a problem.

All of them.
10:50 PM Jul 17 2009 2009
Artemis
Sage
Artemis rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.

Quote (originally posted by PSS):
All of them.
I don't blame you, since so many of them are terrible. But what about a hacked one, like that awesome Saffron City hack here on AiB?

Thank you, ExJackSilver!
11:22 PM Jul 17 2009 2009
Groose
Groose rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Groose watched the unlikely run of the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals culminate in the happiest of flights.Groose has referred new users to the site.Groose did something funny.Groose impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Groose helped a member with a problem.

Staged where people can be gimped easily.
11:52 AM Jul 18 2009 2009
Spellman
His Love is a Precious Island in a Tumultuous Sea
Spellman will put a spell on you.Spellman made significant contributions to all areas of the website!Spellman did something funny.Spellman impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Spellman helped a member with a problem.Spellman won a Signature of the Week contest!

Yeah, I like practical functional stages. The large stage format is usually too big for any stage, though I don't mind using it once in a while, especially for 4 player matches. Small or medium stages are usually ideal, fun, and are not a nuisance. Simple, with a few platforms is good, and I like the moving platforms and rotating platforms.
Bomp.
8:16 AM Jul 24 2009 2009
SSB
Chatter Box

I dislike extremely simple stages. For example, the first time i accepted spectator in wifi options the stage i received was called "meteor mash" and it was so small you could barely do anything. I enjoy making large, creative stages. Some may say that's not the best way to do it and platforming area is important, but i make sure there is at least some area to brawl on, and if not, go to the regular stages, custom stages is where your creativity is supposed to unleash, and best of all, brawl on your creativity.
11:44 PM Aug 15 2009 2009
Bobby-J-Frank

the kind with one way in and one way out.
As Pit I am your savior, as Ike I am your hired hand, as Gannon I am your executioner, and as sheik I am your shadow. But as none of these am I your servant.

Click here to level up my card!
11:14 AM Aug 19 2009 2009
brandenzard
Spread the Love

stage-with-no-ledge-o-tether-recovers.

stages-apply-ideas-o-custom-stages-such-as-ps1-and-sv.
8:49 PM Nov 2 2009 2009
monkey42noob
Just... Don't
monkey42noob rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.monkey42noob watched the unlikely run of the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals culminate in the happiest of flights.monkey42noob impressed a staff member by doing something smart.monkey42noob keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.

1s with 2 many spikes and not enough platform
4:51 PM Nov 29 2009 2009
T.K.
Spread the Love

After reading all of this , I can safely assume you guy all love going to FD >_>
2:39 PM Jan 16 2010 2010
Nicary123

I HATE SIMPLE STAGES.
6:04 PM Jan 26 2010 2010
Nightryder
Friendly

Small, boring, and cramped. I love to toy with my enemies, and make them chase me down. >=D FD is too small for me. I get caught in all of the fighting, and I'm always the first one blasted out. >>.>>
To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, in hopes that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...
8:21 PM Apr 29 2010 2010
milkshake

The ones where you have to tech way too much. (Boxy stages)
7:31 AM Sep 2 2010 2010
LordLeon

I don't like the types of stages that you can easily survive over 200%. Characters should be able to die around 100-150%, in my opinion.
7:44 PM Sep 29 2010 2010
BANRYU
Architect
BANRYU won a Screenshot of the Week Contest!

Well that in the first post, of course, but also ones designed without play and balance in mind. :0 If it's too hard to move around and fight regularly, I don't really consider it to be a good stage. :/ ...unless it's designed that way intentionally for whatever reason, I guess.

...but that probably encompasses everything that you said anyway.

Quote (originally posted by Nicary123):
I HATE SIMPLE STAGES.
Don't. :0 Sometimes there's beauty in simplicity.

Awesome leftsig by Firebomb of AiB, awesome rightsig by Jetcell of one of many Gaming Guilds.
Last edited by BANRYU, 6:58 PM on Oct 13, 2010
3:06 AM Oct 23 2010 2010
Pedochu

It wouldn't be worth a mention if it weren't so popular on all the upload sites. Or garnering positive response.

The stages designed to form a recognizable image, say, a Pokeball. I can only assume these stages are common because some smashers actually enjoy the novelty of maneuvering through a a pokeball-shaped floating stone structure. Essentially, if it makes more sense as ASCII art then a playable stage, then the most logical answer is to try your hand at ASCII. Use the stage builder for its intended purpose.
11:08 AM Nov 5 2010 2010
TheDarkPlumber2.0
Architect

Stages are an art form
Quote (originally posted by Pedochu):
It wouldn't be worth a mention if it weren't so popular on all the upload sites. Or garnering positive response.

The stages designed to form a recognizable image, say, a Pokeball. I can only assume these stages are common because some smashers actually enjoy the novelty of maneuvering through a a pokeball-shaped floating stone structure. Essentially, if it makes more sense as ASCII art then a playable stage, then the most logical answer is to try your hand at ASCII. Use the stage builder for its intended purpose.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with making a stage resemble an object or character.  I'm not saying I'd ever want to brawl on it, but who doesn't want a piece of eye candy?  It's cool to see just how far you can push the stage builder and it's terrible limits.

The stage builder's intended purpose is too... build stages.  How fun they are is up to an individual.  You can go for the fine balance of a tourney stage, something a little more hectic, or create matches of insane proportions (for those odd people who like going to 600% and bouncing around, although I don't see the appeal in that).  If the stage you build in the stage builder is better to look at than play, that's fine.  Don't play it, just appreciate it. 

Obvoiusly, custom stages aren't even tourney legal, no matter how balanced they are.  So they're for recreational purposes.  If I want to make a picture out of a stage, Sakurai isn't gonna break into my Wii and stop me.  He'll be glad I'm exploring a facet of the stage builder that others won't touch.  To exhaust every possibility... that's the purpose of the Stage Builder I use.

tl;dr?
Different strokes for different folks.
Page: 1

Quick Jump
rss