Practice - alone?

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1
9:43 PM Oct 22 2009 2009
Miles of SmashWiki
Smash PhD
Miles of SmashWiki watched the unlikely run of the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals culminate in the happiest of flights.Miles of SmashWiki did something funny.Miles of SmashWiki impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Miles of SmashWiki helped a member with a problem.Miles of SmashWiki keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.

Practice
Is there really ANY way to practice effectively in Melee if you lack opponents?  I know beating up on CPUs is generally a bad idea, but is there anything else to do when there's no human opponents if you want to maintain your skill level (or advance it)?

Srsbsns is always lurking (ﺒ_ﺒ)
Quote (originally posted by nealdt):
You'll always be first in my heart, Miles.
3:07 AM Oct 23 2009 2009
Nano-JX
War is Over

i dnt no
Check it! One hour awesomeness! (First ever animation...)
3:10 AM Oct 23 2009 2009
lordvaati

The best I hear is to practice techniques in training mode( combos on standing targets, CGs on avoiding, etc.) I usually play with CPUs but that's just me, and I'm starting to do the other method too.
11:44 AM Oct 23 2009 2009
Nocturnalist
People Know Me

Quote (originally posted by Miles of SmashWiki):
Is there really ANY way to practice effectively in Melee if you lack opponents?  I know beating up on CPUs is generally a bad idea, but is there anything else to do when there's no human opponents if you want to maintain your skill level (or advance it)?

stick to the basic so you wont be rusty,watch matches or techskill or even videos.keep up to date to see what people do when they play certain characters or watch match ups.that always helps on the long run.its always best to get out and play people though

oh yea and adventure is a quick fix as well

9:08 PM Mar 8 2010 2010
ShadowMario14
Almost Famous

I practiced my accuracy in Target Tests, then I worked on the easy event matches, then I just started fighting level 5's, then I just worked my way up to level 9's, but it takes a while to master everything. So take your time. icon_smile
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.
10:46 PM Mar 8 2010 2010
Doromac
Welcome to Earth
Doromac is way, WAY, too in love with the game Okami.Doromac would like you to make a contract with them.Doromac keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Doromac did something funny.Doromac impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Doromac helped a member with a problem.Doromac won a Signature of the Week contest!

Use lvl1 to work on ats.
9:52 AM Mar 9 2010 2010
Treklink256
Stadium Arcadium
Treklink256 is a moderator in the Stadium section!Treklink256 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Treklink256 contributed to the Stadium community.Treklink256 has a combined score of 100,000 feet (30,480 m) in Brawl's Home Run Contest or 60,000 feet (18,288 m) in Melee's Home Run Contest.Treklink256 spent way too much time obtaining the maximum score of 999,999,999 points in Brawl's All Star mode.Treklink256 holds or held a world record score in one of Smash's Stadium modes.Treklink256 has a combined score of 130,000 feet (39,624 m) in Brawl's Home Run Contest or 90,000 feet (27,432 m) in Melee's Home Run Contest.Treklink256 has won a Stadium Gaming Olympics tournament.Treklink256 holds or held a world-record combined total score in Melee's All-Star mode.

I'd agree that practicing ATs against low-level CPUs or in Training Mode is the way to go.

I also should point out that virtually all my tech skill comes from playing competitively for high scores.
[url=http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=196721]"i like buttballs better" - tipo mastr
2:01 AM Apr 4 2010 2010
RinTinTin

I've never heard anyone recommend playing in practice mode before ...
Not having the C-Stick is a nightmare for learning any of that gritty tech with characters like fox.
Why remove something from the game that might help you improve?

Though ... that said, there's only so much you can do by yourself.
Get really tech-happy, I guess. Level 1's have random spurts of DI. Use that.
12:57 PM Apr 11 2010 2010
EPsilon933
Famous
EPsilon933 did something funny.

You could practice chain throwing in training mode by setting the cpu to evade. Training mode will also help you find/practice true comboes.
9:13 PM Apr 13 2010 2010
INSANE CRAZY GUY

Yes it does teach you true combos, fun ones like thunder to f-smash on fox or dair flacon punch as kirby and falcon.

I'm lovein your sig EPsilon933
The saddest thing is when someone understands all the great things about life and is overjoyed to show everyone... no listens
Page: 1

Quick Jump
rss