~Mass Effect~ - Hype much?

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 · 11 25
11:42 AM Jan 22 2010 2010
Detective Dizzy
Party Animal
Detective Dizzy has referred new users to the site.Detective Dizzy did something funny.Detective Dizzy impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

~Mass Effect~
Well, this game is coming out tommorow for you lucky Americans. (2).

Me? Well I'm getting the first one, playing through it as many times, and then I'm going to get the second one.

These games look amazing, in terms of pretty much everything. Storyline is important to me in games, and this looks like it will deliver.

What about you?
~There are many types of monsters in this world. Monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood. And monsters who always tell lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance. They are much more cunning than other monsters. They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart. They eat, even though they've never experienced hunger. They study, even though they have no interest in academics. They seek friendship, even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such a monster, I would likely be eaten by it. Because in truth, I am that monster~
9:04 PM Jan 23 2010 2010
Plan 9
I Got This
Plan 9 has got this.Plan 9 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Plan 9 did something funny.Plan 9 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Plan 9 helped a member with a problem.Plan 9 has referred new users to the site.Plan 9 wrote an exemplary guide.Plan 9 wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!Plan 9 keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Plan 9 won a Signature of the Week contest!

nope
10:12 PM Jan 23 2010 2010
TamaskavLEM
TamaskavLEM did something funny.

Played the 1st one abit. It's alright. Aiming kind of suck no matter high you lvl up your skill. I guess that's how the game works.
10:15 PM Jan 23 2010 2010
Tofu Beast
Spread the Love
Tofu Beast is a monkey on a mission.Tofu Beast has referred new users to the site.Tofu Beast wrote an exemplary guide.Tofu Beast did something funny.Tofu Beast impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Tofu Beast helped a member with a problem.

Neal's buying me a copy of Mass Effect 2.

He's also buying me Bad Company 2 in the coming months.
10:22 PM Jan 23 2010 2010
TamaskavLEM
TamaskavLEM did something funny.

Guy love sure is something.
3:23 AM Jan 24 2010 2010
Detective Dizzy
Party Animal
Detective Dizzy has referred new users to the site.Detective Dizzy did something funny.Detective Dizzy impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

Finished downloading the first one on STEAM, going to play it soon.
~There are many types of monsters in this world. Monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood. And monsters who always tell lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance. They are much more cunning than other monsters. They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart. They eat, even though they've never experienced hunger. They study, even though they have no interest in academics. They seek friendship, even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such a monster, I would likely be eaten by it. Because in truth, I am that monster~
10:03 AM Feb 9 2010 2010
Grey
Honorably Discharged
Grey has provided valuable testing services for the website.Grey owns a Zune by choice, because iPods are superfluous and iTunes is counter intuitive.Grey rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.Grey is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Grey made significant contributions to all areas of the website!Grey did something funny.Grey impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Grey helped a member with a problem.Grey has referred new users to the site.

Bump.

First one set a lot of new standards in terms of storytelling, but its combat and navigation playability was questionable, its framerate worse.

However.

Mass Effect 2 is quite possibly the greatest single player experience that has ever graced the videogame industry.
10:16 AM Feb 9 2010 2010
Haruko Haruhara
Staff Slayer
Haruko Haruhara did something funny.Haruko Haruhara impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Haruko Haruhara helped a member with a problem.

Chrono Trigger>>>>> Mass Effect (2)

11:41 AM Feb 9 2010 2010
Detective Dizzy
Party Animal

I hear everyone complaining about framerate and textures, I've had no problems whatsoever. I had trouble installing the damn thing on STEAM. So I completely uninstalled my sound drivers, and tried it, and it worked. WITH SOUND. I haven't installed any sound drivers, but everything is working fine.

Finished it twice, playing it again.
12:10 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Mood4food77
Baller
Mood4food77 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Mood4food77 did something funny.Mood4food77 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

everyone loves ME2

the critics and the players alike, it's rated the 16th best game ever

i want to beat the first one but i can't get into it
1:59 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Grey
Honorably Discharged
Grey has provided valuable testing services for the website.Grey owns a Zune by choice, because iPods are superfluous and iTunes is counter intuitive.Grey rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.Grey is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Grey made significant contributions to all areas of the website!Grey did something funny.Grey impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Grey helped a member with a problem.Grey has referred new users to the site.

Its possible the first one played better on PC. The Xbox 360 version had a lot of technical issues.

Really the only problem I find with the Mass Effect series in general is the fact that there's a definite line between combat and story. What you do in combat doesn't affect the story; rather, what you do in the story leads you to a certain combat. Like, when in ME1 I had to find some asari's daughter, and then found that the daughter wasn't exactly a "victim", I wanted to kill everyone but her and corner her so she could answer a few questions. Instead, the combat never stopped, and I had to gun her down, then tell the asari woman to **** off. That's not how I wanted to do it, and in a game bent on letting you decide, not being able to influence the outcome through my decisions is a real turnoff.

Along with that, I feel like the "loyalty missions" were too basic of a way to earn a team member's loyalty. I know, how much you talk to them on the Normandy and what you say in those situations affects their loyalty, but in the end it's pretty much a matter of "did you do the side quest or not" and occasionally "did you do it right". I'd really like for there to be loyalty points for how I direct a battlefield. If I let a person faint 10 times per mission, that person should be upset with me. But they never are. Plus they don't even get upset if you never bring them on missions. I loved Mordin's character, but never, ever took him on a mission. Shouldn't that make him less loyal? Or at least more likely to die in the end, since he's getting no combat experience?

Whether I run out ahead or send someone else to be bait, it doesn't change their view of me as a commander, which causes that disconnect between combat and story. I feel like I should be rewarded (or punished) for my decisions out there. And furthermore, I don't feel that much like a paragon when I kill everyone in sight. Can't I take prisoners? Or kill a couple just to scare the rest then give them the option to retreat? That sort of mechanic would make the entire game feel like a real experience, rather than Gears of War with a decision tree. Trust me, I love the game more than just about any I've ever played, but that doesn't make it perfect.

Plus, I tend to have a problem with the fact that there's a very obvious system in the dialogue that lets you decide to be good or be bad. I want the game to be more ambiguous. Not ALL people are going to respond positively to me being a good guy. Why can't someone unexpectedly get pissed off at me, or refuse to talk to me? It happens, I know, but I can usually tell before I make a decision exactly what their reaction will be. I want there to be more of a hit-or-miss reaction, and possibly some people that you just damn well can't help. And when I get my Paragon/Renegade points high enough, I always have a fail-proof answer waiting to be used. That's just unfair. Give me more options, but don't give me outcome guarantees. That ruins the need to actually think before acting.
2:31 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Detective Dizzy
Party Animal

I agree with options being clearly good or clearly bad, that's one of the things that bothered me too.

Funniest thing was, in the first one, on my first try, I didn't let any members of my team faint until around 1/4 of the way through, when Ashley fainted, so I though "screw her" (I tried it like ten times, so I gave up), after the battle, she just got up, and I was like "What the hell?". I thought once they "faint" they die forever. They should make it so if they faint a certain amount of times, they die. They could make so much out of the storyline if they did that.

So throughout the whole two times I played it, not once did I use any armour for my squadmates. Or weapons. Or mods, or anything. They don't even need it.

I'm playing it on the second hardest setting now, and I've realised just how useful your squadmates techs and biotics are.

What class are you, Staind?

My romance was with Ashley by the way, Liara annoys the hell out of me. And in one of her conversations she's like "I feel we have this thing going on", hell no we don't.
2:39 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Grey
Honorably Discharged

Heh, I got them to catfight over me. It was awesome. Then I suggested the three of us... then Ashley cut me off and said take Liara. So I did.

Ashley was just kind of a *****, and Liara, in asari terms, was robbing the cradle, so I robbed the cradle. I chose Tali in ME2, so my Shepard's definitely a walking alien STD by now.

Anyway, I'm soldier, because firing weapons is what I do best. Instead, I just bring one biotic and one tech with me on every mission, and instruct them on when and where to use their powers. I'd much rather do that than limit my amount of firepower.
2:45 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Detective Dizzy
Party Animal

First time through I picked Infiltrator, but for the most part you use the pistol, so that got boring really quickly.
I think the Vanguard is the best at everything, he has the basic tech skills, but the biotic skills are really useful (and very fun), coupled with the shotgun (which seems to be incredibly accurate even at long range) makes him the Jack of all trades.

I tend to bring the best tech, and the best combat to a fight. The only reason for the tech is so I can open up containers, and the combat to distract the enemies. The only reason for squadmates seems to be bait or just being there to passiveley boost your skills.
Last edited by Detective Dizzy, 2:47 PM on Feb 09, 2010
2:46 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Drugs!
Cheesehead
Drugs! rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.Drugs! did something funny.Drugs! helped a member with a problem.

I have the second one
Quote (originally posted by Riddle):
Drugs, you make me smile and want to punch **** simultaneously

7:28 PM Feb 9 2010 2010
Magnatoon
Certified BAMF
Magnatoon is a certified BAMF. Check his kill/death.Magnatoon would like you to make a contract with them.Magnatoon watched the unlikely run of the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals culminate in the happiest of flights.Magnatoon did something funny.Magnatoon impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Magnatoon helped a member with a problem.Magnatoon keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Magnatoon has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

1:43 AM Dec 16 2010 2010
iSpiN
Forest Sage
iSpiN is an administrator for the site.iSpiN has provided valuable testing services for the website.iSpiN is addicted to the melody of the woods.iSpiN keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.iSpiN has referred new users to the site.iSpiN wrote an exemplary guide.iSpiN wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!iSpiN did something funny.iSpiN impressed a staff member by doing something smart.iSpiN helped a member with a problem.iSpiN has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

Quote (originally posted by Magnatoon):
This makes me happy.

Btw Josh, I also went with Tali, but I didn't go with any romance in ME1.  Liara is blue and Ashley is dead.
11:18 AM Dec 16 2010 2010
Detective Dizzy
Party Animal

Ah, Mass Effect 3 has been announced.

And LONDON is being ATTACKED.

OOOOH NOOOO.
1:12 PM Dec 16 2010 2010
iSpiN
Forest Sage
iSpiN is an administrator for the site.iSpiN has provided valuable testing services for the website.iSpiN is addicted to the melody of the woods.iSpiN keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.iSpiN has referred new users to the site.iSpiN wrote an exemplary guide.iSpiN wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!iSpiN did something funny.iSpiN impressed a staff member by doing something smart.iSpiN helped a member with a problem.iSpiN has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

Source?
2:59 PM Dec 18 2010 2010
Drugs!
Cheesehead
Drugs! rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.Drugs! did something funny.Drugs! helped a member with a problem.

VGA's

heres the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiHvJOOeHqU&feature=fvst
Quote (originally posted by Riddle):
Drugs, you make me smile and want to punch **** simultaneously

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 · 11 25

Quick Jump
rss