Are Video Games a Sin? - Does being a Christian gamer make you a hypocrite?

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3
6:30 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Wreck-It RARE
Castle Made of Sand
Wreck-It RARE rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Wreck-It RARE wrote an exemplary guide.Wreck-It RARE wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!Wreck-It RARE did something funny.Wreck-It RARE impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Wreck-It RARE helped a member with a problem.

Are Video Games a Sin?
Should Christians be indulging in such activities such as playing excessive violent video games? Is this morally wrong? Why or why not? Where do we draw the line on what games are appropriate or not? Discuss what you think and support with bible verses and other examples.

I'll share my stance later on.
Last edited by Wreck-It RARE, 6:48 PM on Sep 02, 2010
6:43 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Traced
Who Dat?
Traced rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Traced is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Traced did something funny.

What the hell..........? :I
6:47 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Traiphorce
Baller
Traiphorce rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.Traiphorce helped a member with a problem.

Quote (originally posted by MBlaze):
What the hell..........? :I
Yeah that's what I was thinking. icon_razz
This is a site dedicated to a video game. No one is going to say it's morally wrong.
6:47 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
-Wedding Dress Mannie-
Almost Famous
-Wedding Dress Mannie- helped a member with a problem.

this is a pretty good topic. It depends on the type of video game. Games like Grand Theft Auto or other games with bad things in it is actually a sin to be playing it. We are letting that stuff enter our body and it influences our lives. We have to be careful too because games like "Darksiders" is talking about the horseman of the Apocolypse. Angels and Demons are battling in that game and it is not even reaching people that this is not a game they should play. It might be a good game in the world but to God it is not. Be careful when you choose a game. Look at spiritual reviews before you play

6:48 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Wreck-It RARE
Castle Made of Sand
Wreck-It RARE rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Wreck-It RARE wrote an exemplary guide.Wreck-It RARE wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!Wreck-It RARE did something funny.Wreck-It RARE impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Wreck-It RARE helped a member with a problem.

I edited the OP. Obviously I didnt think just ANY videogame.
6:54 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Arikie
Friendly
Arikie is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

generally no, but if they turn into an obsession or an "idol" then yes. also if they make you act a different way for the worse thats bad too...
6:57 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
-Wedding Dress Mannie-
Almost Famous

games like Brawl or Street Fighter is all right but games like GTA or Darksiders are questionable........thats all im saying.
Even Onimusha is a little questionable cuz its about demons but since you are a good guy then maybe its a little different.......

7:08 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
-JJ-
Paparazzi
-JJ- is a troll. Please ignore anything said by this user.
"Troll"

Playing video games is not a sin lol. However, it is possible to commit sin while playing a video game. For example, you make curse or annoy other users using a headset or whatevere. lol
7:20 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Wreck-It RARE
Castle Made of Sand

btw, I'd like to point out that so far I have not taken any side of the debate. I have my own opinion for sure, but I havent posted it yet. Also I'd like to see some actually backing behind these opinions. I've heard the debate go both ways. Thats why I want to know why people think the way they do.
7:23 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Surreal
Lifeguard
Surreal did something funny.Surreal impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Surreal participated in the Karaoke Contest!

In my opinion every situation is different, and it really depends on not just what type of game it is, but who is playing it and for what reasons. To someone like me, a lot of video I imagine as stories being played out, and I am simply doing what must be done to advance the story. For one guy to be shooting people in the head and enjoying the fact that they just killed someone (to them at least, since obviously the character in game isn't a real person), for reason other than that they did the act, is different than one guy who enjoyed killing that same person for a different reason (for his side to "win" for example). So while one guy is celebrating his feat of murder, the other is celebrating that his team is now closer to winning. I hope that all made sense. @_@

Edit: Klashkrool made an excellent point. Good show.
Last edited by Surreal, 7:31 PM on Sep 02, 2010
7:27 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Klashkrool
Spread the Love
Klashkrool rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Klashkrool rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.

Video games to a certain extent can be a sin. Making video games your number 1 top priority over everything else can harm you. It stops you from doing great things, such as talking with God, developing relationships, or meeting new people and bringing them to Christ. Also, video games that contain adult humor and the like can be considered a sin if played. One may justify such an action by saying "it's just a video game", but that's just like saying "it's just a cartoon" if you're watching hentai.

Video games can be used in great ways though. Tournaments are a great place to meet people. You can bring up Christ with them. Also, through your actions, you can show that you represent God at tournaments.

Video games can become a sin, but it can also be something that can be used to show God.
7:38 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
-Wedding Dress Mannie-
Almost Famous

I like playing games like Kingdom Hearts, where the story is about a boy saving a girl and his friends. An awesome story and something that is not bad within the game............Just pick your games and dont act crazy like what Surreal said. The Online Gamer is a perfect example

7:47 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
-Wedding Dress Mannie-
Almost Famous

Quote (originally posted by Klashkrool):
Video games to a certain extent can be a sin. Making video games your number 1 top priority over everything else can harm you. It stops you from doing great things, such as talking with God, developing relationships, or meeting new people and bringing them to Christ. Also, video games that contain adult humor and the like can be considered a sin if played. One may justify such an action by saying "it's just a video game", but that's just like saying "it's just a cartoon" if you're watching hentai.

Video games can be used in great ways though. Tournaments are a great place to meet people. You can bring up Christ with them. Also, through your actions, you can show that you represent God at tournaments.

Video games can become a sin, but it can also be something that can be used to show God.

You are very right!!!! Never thought of it that way

8:02 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Checkers
I Have a Zombie Plan
Checkers did something funny.Checkers impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Checkers helped a member with a problem.Checkers keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.

I'll just start with this.
Some people can tell themselves apart from characters, and understand how, even though the characters are reasonable in their actions, they are doing bad things.
Some people (Like Mark David Chapman, he murdered John Lennon under the illusion that he was Holden Claufield from A Catcher in the Rye) can't.
8:08 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
ShadowYoshi
Smash PhD
ShadowYoshi did something funny.

this is a good topic...
most first-party nintendo games dont really have an issue with being immoral in any way...metroid and zelda...maybe a small bit of violence...but i have no problem with either. smash bros and other fighters...nothing wrong with most of them.  most shoot-em'-up games are ok too, as long as the reason you like them isn't because you get to kill humans. 
kill-em-up slasher type stuff is different...in my opinon...i guess it's the gorier death that makes them different from shooters...but in the same token, the point is the same: killing. it dosen't matter how it's done, it's still killing. that then we have games like grand theft auto...basically you sin to win...that's definitely not a good theme...
games like bayonetta on the other hand...are just plain wrong. i don't care if it has a good storyline, gameplay, and/or graphics...if the point of the game is something completely messed up like bayonetta's (where your character is a witch that kills angels to keep out of hell [not to mention how half the enemies are mostly naked]) <--{i read the article about it in gameinformers} then just don't play it.
but the most important factor is that you don't take games too seriously or put them in front of God.
and i just went on a big, long rant...but wasn't that the point?

8:09 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Checkers
I Have a Zombie Plan
Checkers did something funny.Checkers impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Checkers helped a member with a problem.Checkers keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.

Addiction is a sin. You can be addicted to video games. If you are, that's a sin.
Violence is a sin. If games make you more open minded to violence, you're considering sin. If you commit violence because you saw it in a video game, that is a sin.
Obviously, not being a Christian is, for all Christian intents, a sin. If games make you change belief, that's a sin.

It's really a question of maturity and if you can handle what you see. It's about if you apply these to your life other than as an interactive entertainment source, it's probably sin. So I think that it can be a sin.

Have you guys even ever played Grand Theft Auto? You don't have to commit crime at all, unless you're playing GTA4. It's what you make of it, like all sandbox games.
8:58 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Mofat

Luke 6:45 (New King James Version)

45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart[a] brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

And depending on what were putting in to our hearts our mouths/action and whatnot will speak. So yes, I think playing excessive violent videogames isn't a good idea. And as stated above, addiction is a sin. but to further elaborate if something takes the place of god it breaks the first commandment in a way.

Also, where the line is drawn varies a little for each person. I wont play games that show excessive blood and gore just because I cant stand that sort of thing. But I can zone out on Gears of war for hours cause aside from the chainsaw its not all that graphic, But I wont be playing it every day of every hour. If a game makes me angry I stop playing it, because thats where I start sinning is when Im angry. The line is different for everyone.
9:20 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
LEGOF
Profile Illuminator
LEGOF rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.LEGOF keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.LEGOF participated in the Karaoke Contest!

I've read through some of these posts and I think we can all agree that video games are fine to play as long as they don't become an idol or take first place in your life.

As for more violent video games, I feel that those should be avoided. Not cartoon violent, but GTA violent. You wouldn't normally go around hijacking cars, shooting people and participate in other unlawful things so what makes it right if you're playing it in a game? I'm paraphrasing but the Bible says that just by thinking of doing sin, you've already committed that sin. So if you get very angry at someone and the thought of murdering pops into your head, you have already sinned for murder. When you play violent games, you're thinking about those sinful actions and that is just as bad as actually committing them. I can't give you chapter and verse for my paraphrase but I know it's in there somewhere.
10:10 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Checkers
I Have a Zombie Plan

Quote (originally posted by LEGOF):
You wouldn't normally go around hijacking cars, shooting people and participate in other unlawful things so what makes it right if you're playing it in a game?

Nothing makes it right. But nothing in the game is making you do such things. It's all your fault if you choose to kill someone as opposed to being a fireman or stopping a drug deal.

The only game where you're truely an antagonist would be the Mafia games, from what i've seen.
mm delicious rapp snitch knishes
10:28 PM Sep 2 2010 2010
Wreck-It RARE
Castle Made of Sand

An added twist to the discussion:

There is a common argument that says, "A little violence or a little sex won't hurt me".

Well, if I was famous for making brownies and I told you I would give you a fresh batch right out of the oven, most of you would jump at the chance to eat them wouldn't you? What if I told you I added a special ingredient to batter: dog poop. But ONLY just a pinch and I made a TON of brownies so you wouldn't even taste it.

Would you still eat it? After all, it was just a little. Something to think about. Add that to your responses.
Page: 1 2 3

Quick Jump
rss