The Ice Climbers Advice Thread!

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2
5:01 AM Jun 18 2008 2008
mikeHAZE
Welcome to Earth
mikeHAZE passed a Tournament Host Certification test.mikeHAZE tried to blow up nealdt's car.mikeHAZE is the guy who made Rise and SHINE!mikeHAZE is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.mikeHAZE did something funny.mikeHAZE impressed a staff member by doing something smart.mikeHAZE helped a member with a problem.mikeHAZE has referred new users to the site.mikeHAZE wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

The Ice Climbers Advice Thread!
I've decided to start taking more command of this board and have changed this thread to a general ICs advice thread, so post away if you have questions!

Other stuff that was once supposed to go in here no longer need to.

-Mike (Nintendude1189)
Last edited by Nintendude1189, 12:56 AM on Jul 09, 2008
7:49 AM Jun 18 2008 2008
Smasher89
Smasher89 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Ok, lets starts to discuss about something that is really neccesary for any IC player to know in any matchup, grab setups. What leads to landing a grab in Brawl?

As far as I know a well spaced blizzard or an utilt is the easiest ways.
But running "too far" predicting a roll and grab works great too, even if all those is situational. How do you land your grabs?
2:43 PM Jun 18 2008 2008
mikeHAZE
Welcome to Earth
mikeHAZE passed a Tournament Host Certification test.mikeHAZE tried to blow up nealdt's car.mikeHAZE is the guy who made Rise and SHINE!mikeHAZE is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.mikeHAZE did something funny.mikeHAZE impressed a staff member by doing something smart.mikeHAZE helped a member with a problem.mikeHAZE has referred new users to the site.mikeHAZE wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

yeah, im interested in this as well.

does sheild camping work well?
4:24 PM Jun 18 2008 2008
Fly_Amanita
Fly_Amanita is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

I usually just predict rolls, standing dodges, laggy moves, etc. to land grabs. Blizzard can work, but the other character can often DI out of it or above your grab range.  I also like to get the other character directly above me if possible, since a lot of people will either descend with an aerial and risk getting shield-grabbed or airdodge and then immediately roll or spot dodge, which also leads to an easy grab.  This obviously doesn't work against all characters and people, but I've had success with it nonetheless.

I don't like shield camping as much in Brawl as I did in Melee; since you can no longer wavedash, just sitting there in your shield usually doesn't lead to much against people with good spacing, although sometimes a short hop blizzard OoS after the other character hits your shield with something can work.
Last edited by Fly_Amanita, 4:29 PM on Jun 18, 2008
6:29 PM Jun 18 2008 2008
mikeHAZE
Welcome to Earth

yeah fly, the blizzard oos was what i was thinking.
4:05 PM Jun 20 2008 2008
Wookz

i like to jump at my at op with an air dodge instead of an attack that usally throws them off and leads to a grab, also desynch like get nana to freeze breath and run in with pop also desynch forward b
8:31 PM Jun 20 2008 2008
Mento

What's a good way to use the charge foward smash while nana is on ledge trick?
9:38 PM Jun 20 2008 2008
Nintendude1189
Multi-Man King
Nintendude1189 has provided valuable testing services for the website.Nintendude1189 rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Nintendude1189 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Nintendude1189 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Nintendude1189 helped a member with a problem.Nintendude1189 has referred new users to the site.Nintendude1189 wrote an exemplary guide.Nintendude1189 has a combined score of 100,000 feet (30,480 m) in Brawl's Home Run Contest or 60,000 feet (18,288 m) in Melee's Home Run Contest.Nintendude1189 holds or held a world record score in one of Smash's Stadium modes.Nintendude1189 has a combined score of 130,000 feet (39,624 m) in Brawl's Home Run Contest or 90,000 feet (27,432 m) in Melee's Home Run Contest.Nintendude1189 contributed to the Stadium community.Nintendude1189 holds or held a world-record combined total score in Brawl or Melee's Multi-Man modes.

I don't really know any good grab setups in Brawl. Blizzard doesn't work since it just freezes your opponent and hits him into the air. I find myself just shield camping a whole lot waiting for the opponent to eventually space something poorly. You can punish out of shield very well with a jump forward-B or dash-A so you aren't limited at all. You are also very safe and can't be grabbed. People used to be scared of grabbing ICs in Melee for some reason but you could rarely punish it. Throws gave characters weird invincibility frames (that's what it seemed like) and if Nana broke you out it was just luck most of the time. In Brawl though, it's way easier to input a command to Nana which will break you out.

I'm a very non-grab dependent ICs player though, so my strategy of not focusing on grabs will probably not work for most ICs players.

Quote (originally posted by Mento):
What's a good way to use the charge foward smash while nana is on ledge trick?

Get near the edge then run backwards and pivot an f-smash. Then just keep holding forward and A. Nana will dash-A and then walk off the ledge while Popo will be charging an f-smash. If Nana does f-smash instead of dash-A, you pressed A too soon.

The f-smash isn't that important though. What really matters is having Nana on the edge. People lose the ability to sweetspot and you can shield the up-B while Nana rolls back on, then grab, and finish the opponent off.
10-Man Melee: 2:55.52
Home-Run Contest (Melee): 111030.2 ft. / 33840.7 m.
1:44 PM Jul 17 2008 2008
Pizzachu
Pizzachu did something funny.

What is a good counter pick stage for Ice Climbers?
7:50 PM Jul 17 2008 2008
Bolshoi

Quote (originally posted by Nintendude1189):
Get near the edge then run backwards and pivot an f-smash. Then just keep holding forward and A. Nana will dash-A and then walk off the ledge while Popo will be charging an f-smash. If Nana does f-smash instead of dash-A, you pressed A too soon.

The f-smash isn't that important though. What really matters is having Nana on the edge. People lose the ability to sweetspot and you can shield the up-B while Nana rolls back on, then grab, and finish the opponent off.

That's a fancy trick...I may have to learn that one.

I actually have trouble getting the kill.  I can rack up damage well enough, but can't KO worth crud.  I think I might be to obvious in my approaches when the %s get high.

What're some effective ways to get the kill?

(I'll be going to a tourny this and next Saturday, I'll see if I can't get a vid or something.)
11:28 PM Jul 17 2008 2008
Fly_Amanita
Fly_Amanita is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

I usually KO with usmash & fsmash. Some people still fall for P fthrow -> N fair spike off the edge, so it's good to keep that option in mind. Also, if you're opponent is above you and you're really confident that s/he isn't going to airdodge, you can belay for KOs at lower percentages. dtilt and ftilt work pretty well on some characters, too.

Regarding stage counterpicks, I pretty much always pick neutral-ish stages, since weird-*** levels screw with the ICs for pretty much the same reasons they did in Melee.  I personally am partial to Smashville and FD, although that's probably just because I'm more familiar with them than any other levels.
5:26 AM Jul 18 2008 2008
TeeKayDee
Featured Blogger
TeeKayDee is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.TeeKayDee has referred new users to the site.TeeKayDee wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

(Reply to The Ice Climbers Advice Thread)
I posted up an IC tutorial. It should clear a lot of stuff up.
Last edited by TeeKayDee, 6:02 AM on Jul 18, 2008
10:37 PM Jul 23 2008 2008
Smasher89
Smasher89 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Anyone got any good uses for the final smash? Nintendo is holding a official 3stock single elemination brawltournament with only startchars, and all startstages on random but the custom stages.
I have only found out that it´s great on like skyworld, were you can destroy the platforms forcing the opponent to take damage. Grabspam works nice too...
10:05 AM Jul 26 2008 2008
Seiken
The Write Stuff
Seiken wrote an exemplary guide.Seiken impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Seiken helped a member with a problem.

Do either of these work or is it easy to escape from?

(both at the edge)

P down throw -> P Fsmash -> N fair (so opponent is caught in the Fsmash and before they get hit away by the Fsmash they get hit by N fair.)
P down throw -> N fair -> P footstool
10:53 PM Aug 5 2008 2008
Jartravious
Signature Artist

Quote (originally posted by Nintendude1189):

I'm a very non-grab dependent ICs player though, so my strategy of not focusing on grabs will probably not work for most ICs players.

Would you mind elaborating on some of the things in your playstyle? I'm considering maining the Ice Climbers but I don't want to pick a character that is over reliant on grabs.
"What's that Lassie, Timmy fell down the well? Well grab the well's edge so he can't recover!"-Kuro
Im like a Hadouken cause I'm downright fierce!

3:27 AM Aug 6 2008 2008
Delphiki
Sage
Delphiki has provided valuable testing services for the website.Delphiki is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Delphiki impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Delphiki helped a member with a problem.Delphiki wrote an exemplary guide.Delphiki wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

Jartravious, you may want to read my guide. It's stickied. The only complaints I've received are a lack of info on chaingrabs. And no pretty pictures. ^_^

Seiken the F-smash/F-air might work, but why not just Fair with Nana out of the grab?
3:33 AM Aug 6 2008 2008
Stoop
Host
Stoop is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

What are other moves besides the specials and smashes to use while desynced?
8:46 AM Aug 6 2008 2008
Seiken
The Write Stuff
Seiken wrote an exemplary guide.Seiken impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Seiken helped a member with a problem.

Quote (originally posted by Delphiki):
Jartravious, you may want to read my guide. It's stickied. The only complaints I've received are a lack of info on chaingrabs. And no pretty pictures. ^_^

Seiken the F-smash/F-air might work, but why not just Fair with Nana out of the grab?

Well my friend plays Ike and whenever I play ICs and I'm near the edge he expects the straight forward Nana fair. So at low percentages he always uses his Bup in time since he knows what I'm going to do. I'm just guessing that Fsmash/fair might mess up his timing although I'm not sure if he can use his Bup before the Fsmash or between the Fsmash and fair. I haven't played him in a while so I'll have to test it against him next time I play.
5:11 PM Aug 6 2008 2008
Jartravious
Signature Artist

Quote (originally posted by Delphiki):

Alright will do
"What's that Lassie, Timmy fell down the well? Well grab the well's edge so he can't recover!"-Kuro
Im like a Hadouken cause I'm downright fierce!

9:36 PM Sep 1 2008 2008
xAgenTx

easiest way i start out my grabs is play defensive, make them come to you and just shield grab and punish em. in some situations this doesnt work tho, for example if falco fsmash does knockback even when you shield it and pushes you away so you wont be able to grab, in that case use mind games and dash/shield grab.
Last edited by xAgenTx, 9:37 PM on Sep 01, 2008
Page: 1 2

Quick Jump
rss