Revealed: The Unity Ruleset

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 · 3 4 5 6 7 · 11
9:41 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Homicide

Let's not forget Ganondorf, man, his Side+B suicides were really ruining the game. Oh wait, he has a negative matchup versus every character even with it...

You're just recentering the game on an even smaller number of characters, and beyond that, you're centering it on the ones that are already godlike. "Oh, hey, we included 35 ledge grabs for MK, so we're working hard to make him less of a threat." 35 isn't a small number, and with this stagelist, ****, he's got the easiest counterpicking options available. Strike one, and hey, either Brinstar or RC's open.

I don't get it. Any new Smash player could point out the flaws in this at a quick glance, so why are longstanding vets of the community doing stupid **** like this?
9:45 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BSP
Boss

Pictochat alone takes all respect out of this....it's clearly not a stage to decide competitions with it's random rewards everywhere the entire match
9:51 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BFAA Inui
In the Spotlight
BFAA Inui passed a Tournament Host Certification test.BFAA Inui rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.BFAA Inui is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.BFAA Inui did something funny.BFAA Inui helped a member with a problem.

Behold, AlphaZealot! The reaction I said would occur with the general populace has occurred! Very few favor the "forcing" of the rules and the rules are incredibly unpopular in general.

Oh, and guess what? With the exception of Brinstar and RC being on the same stage list every time, NY/NJ has been running rules WITHOUT the issues people are complaining about (Bowser/Ganon suicide rule, PICTOSHAT AND PS2, Dedede infinites) in here. NJ got it right in 2008.

Go for a unified rule-set if you want to. But, for the good of the people, don't throw some half-arsed attempt at us as something official. You're missing too many hosts and made clear, undeniable errors (PICTOCHAT) that it is WRONG to force upon us all.
10:03 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Player-1
Player-1 rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Player-1 has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

Quote (originally posted by GAY):
Beating them once with a character like Diddy Kong on RC or Wario on Brinstar. That doesn't honestly count. I'd like to see how many top MKs actually lose on these stages. I would say it's rather low statistically speaking. It's not about learning the stage and deceiving yourself to believe that for some kind of pride is

IMO the only reason MK isn't banned in tourneys yet is this ^ mindset.

NO I CAN DO ET. I'M AMAZING YEAH. Inb4pointlessdebate.

EDIT:

This isn't even to say I'm for an MK ban, I'd rather see a double stage ban come into play before an MK ban. I don't think MK would be as great if he didn't have a sure fire VERY strong CP like he does now which he relies on.

This too. And Pictochat while having some strong points is completely retarded. The stage HAS RANDOM TRANSFORMATIONS THAT CAN BLOCK RECOVERIES AT ANY GIVEN TIME. This HAS HAPPENED IN TOURNEY SETS. Why would you allow this? It's a great stage to play MK on I admit, which is something I'd like about but it's not something I want legal just cuz of how dumb it is.

And the Ganon/Bowsercide thing yea.....fun stuff.

Once? It's happened a lot more than once. Obviously it's still going to be in MKs favor, but it's not like diddy vs mk on RC isn't unbeatable. I'm considered to be a top level diddy (not a top player, just a top a top diddy) and I'm ranked in my state and RC is personally my favorite stage to play on and I feel very comfortable on that stage versing any character whatsoever, I'd much rather play that stage than lylat and frigate for my character. Do I think the stage is better? No, I just know the stage VERY well and know how to play on it correctly. We saw Gnes win on brinstar and norfair numerous times at MLG Dallas against top players such as tyrant, espy, and such. Learn one stage ban the other, MK doesn't become unbeatable just because he wins game 1 or even close to it, sure it's an uphill battle and perhaps it's a steeper slope than it is on other stages, but you can definitely still win with a good shot if you play it correctly.

@inui-You can insult me all you want or whatever, but I personally think pictochat is fine, although it's definitely borderline fine just like I think PS2 is borderline not fine, but I do agree with you whole-heartedly that being "forced" and for them to discourage any other tournament ruleset is completely dumb.
10:09 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Lance Stern

I like this
10:13 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
ViceGrip
Castle Made of Sand
ViceGrip rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.ViceGrip is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.ViceGrip did something funny.ViceGrip helped a member with a problem.ViceGrip wrote an exemplary guide.

PATHETIC.

I thought rule sets/stage lists were supposed to evolve and get better, not stay the same because 'well they've always been that way, derp.' Direct quote of AZ in this thread btw.

Seriously, after all this time what are rainbow cruise/brinstar still doing together on a cp list. 'it's always been that way' is such falty logic, go to college please. There's a reason luigi's mansion/skyworld didn't make it past 2008. I like Picto but it does seem to decide games due to random hazards too often.
Last edited by ViceGrip, 10:17 PM on Apr 06, 2011
10:13 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
justinrobk
Rookie

Seems like this is pretty universally hated :/. I'm not sure why, for many of the rules, they insisted on going directly against the popular standards. If those standards haven't yielded any serious problems thus far, then why change what the broad base of the community enjoys?
10:26 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BFAA Inui
In the Spotlight
BFAA Inui passed a Tournament Host Certification test.BFAA Inui rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.BFAA Inui is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.BFAA Inui did something funny.BFAA Inui helped a member with a problem.

No reasonable, intelligent person thinks Pictochat is good.

Not insulting you, Player-1. Stating a fact. It's simply not competitively viable whatsoever. Luck can and does, very frequently I might add, decide who wins. That's anti-competitive.
10:29 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Chris Ford
I'm Stupid
Chris Ford rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Chris Ford is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Chris Ford did something funny.Chris Ford gathered a group of friends and took down staff in a crew battle.

picto should be banned.

proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZwc8g5KcU&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3oDfzunvI
10:32 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BFAA Inui
In the Spotlight

Quote (originally posted by Adam Gibson):
picto should be banned.

proof

This stuff has been known since the game came out.

Again, I ask, why was this stage ever legal and why do people persist in saying it is competitively viable?
10:39 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BSP
Boss

I'm with Inui, someone support Pictochat please because I'm not seeing how luck and excessive randomness is good to keep to our competitive scene
10:46 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Player-1
Player-1 rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Player-1 has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

Quote (originally posted by Inui):
No reasonable, intelligent person thinks Pictochat is good.

Not insulting you, Player-1. Stating a fact. It's simply not competitively viable whatsoever. Luck can and does, very frequently I might add, decide who wins. That's anti-competitive.

Yeah I know you weren't insulting me in any previous post, but I was just saying that you can go ahead and do it if you wanted to for your response to that post, because I see you get worked up over that stage lots :3. I don't think it's good per say, I think it's borderline viable, I don't want to get in a discussion over it here, but I mean I can obviously see why people say it should be banned and stuff and wouldn't care if it were banned at all, it's just on that tipping point for me, it could go either way.
10:48 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BFAA Inui
In the Spotlight

Quote (originally posted by Player-1):
Yeah I know you weren't insulting me in any previous post, but I was just saying that you can go ahead and do it if you wanted to for your response to that post, because I see you get worked up over that stage lots :3. I don't think it's good per say, I think it's borderline viable, I don't want to get in a discussion over it here, but I mean I can obviously see why people say it should be banned and stuff and wouldn't care if it were banned at all, it's just on that tipping point for me, it could go either way.

The above post was made after this one:

Quote (originally posted by Adam Gibson):
picto should be banned.

proof

Again, I say: "No reasonable, intelligent person thinks Pictochat is good."
10:54 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
_Yes_
_Yes_ rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team._Yes_ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

The problem with arguing against luck is that most stages can be argued to have a luck factor.

I've lost a match because of the Shy Guys on Yoshi's Island, and the platform.
I've lost matches because of Lylat's stage tilting.
I've won/lost matches on PS1/Delfino/Castle Seige because I or my opponent has fallen through the stage.
I've won/lost matches because of the claw/laser/bomb on Halberd
I've lost matches because of Frigate flipping.

There's many more but hopefully you all get the point. To have a truly fair stage list, it'd have to look like this:

Starter: Battlefield/Final Destination
Counterpick: Nothing

Those are the only two stages where NOTHING interferes with the gameplay, and even then, matchup discrepancies on FD are so ridiculous that even that isn't fair, so....Battlefield.

Also this ruleset sucks.
10:54 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Felix
Party Animal
Felix is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Felix did something funny.Felix helped a member with a problem.

"4. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation is not allowed and punishable by the TO. "

awww ****
11:00 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Whipped Cream
Shark

yo I'm sticking with wifi

these rules are ***
11:02 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
Bizkit
Unstoppable
Bizkit is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Bizkit wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

So Inui, if Pictochat is off the next update, what will you have to complain about next? Is PS2 next on the list for you?

Quote (originally posted by _Yes_):
I've lost a match because of the Shy Guys on Yoshi's Island, and the platform.

Not luck, you see them before they are in your face. If you run into an fsmash that gets extended hitboxes due to a shyguy hovering right there, that's your fault. The platforms, yea they're luck.

I've lost matches because of Lylat's stage tilting.

Not luck in the slightest.

I've won/lost matches on PS1/Delfino/Castle Seige because I or my opponent has fallen through the stage.

Lucky glitch.

I've won/lost matches because of the claw/laser/bomb on Halberd

Easily not luck. Not all hazards are immediately luck. You have ridiculous amounts of time to react to all of those hazards

I've lost matches because of Frigate flipping.

Not luck. About 5 second sound & visual warning before a flip.

I don't quite get what you were aiming at with this post, but hazards that don't happen instantaneously aren't luck based.
11:05 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
BFAA Inui
In the Spotlight

Quote (originally posted by Bizkit):
So Inui, if Pictochat is off the next update, what will you have to complain about next? Is PS2 next on the list for you?

Yup.  They both should go, but Pictochat is the clear greater of the two evils.

When is this "next update" anyways?  How long is a stage with, uh, one supporter in this thread so far going to be forced on people?
11:06 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
_Yes_
_Yes_ rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team._Yes_ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

I was just saying that most stages are bad in Brawl.

Also that the ruleset is ***.
11:08 PM Apr 6 2011 2011
All-Time Oregon Best Viviff
War is Over
All-Time Oregon Best Viviff is a troll. Please ignore anything said by this user.
"Troll"

Gross stages. How can PS2, something which becomes literally unplayable for at least 3 of it's transformations (Ican't think of the 4th because why would I ever play there?). Also RC/Brinstar......pick one or the other.
Page: 1 · 3 4 5 6 7 · 11

Quick Jump
rss