TCG's One-Year Anniversary

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3
Posted at 6:39 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
E.Nigma
The Grand Funk Master of all Get Out.
TCG's One-Year Anniversary

Hello everyone! Today marks the one-year anniversary of the creation of the Official AIB Trading Card Support Group. I can't say which day testing on the TCG actually began, but the official release was marked on September 27, 2010.

I'm glad that the project was taken so well by the community. There was originally a lot of bad energy floating around the idea when I presented it. Many members and staff believed that the TCG wouldn't take root in the AIB community very well and that the idea was just one more unnecessary addition to the site to keep members from playing Brawl itself.

However, the TCG has flourished even better than I originally imagined that it could. It has been used as a means of entertainment for many of you, a means of rewarding participants in various parts of the site including the Ladder, Contests and various other events over the past year. It also unintentionally became somewhat of a deterrent for users who tended to break the rules more often than necessary.

Overall it's been a good year. I'm happy to have created something that provided a measure of novelty for everyone of AIB and I'm proud that I've provided the site with something that could potentially outlast me as a member and still bring the community together. It's been tough keeping everything up to date as much as possible and work with members in order to manage the system and I'm thankful for those of you who have put time and effort into it and have enjoyed it as much as I have.

I'd like to thank the following people:
  • Nealdt: Without him, none of this would be possible. He did an amazing job of applying it to the site so that everyone could have access to the system. He's done more than I ever expected, and then some, to keep this thing fresh and user friendly. I'm thankful that he even considered my idea and I'm glad to have been allowed to do the things that I've done with it.
  • Midnite: He's done a large number of tasks with helping me manage the system, create new cards and take snapshots. He's had some great ideas that lead to new card designs, and he's helped a ton with users and problems that arose early on in the initial creation of the support group.
  • Hazeo, ASF1ink and Dramakidd: These three did quite a bit of work creating icons, emblems and full card templates for me. Without them, none of the new card designs you see today would even be slightly possible. Sadly, Hazeo and ASF have pretty much left the designer group. I haven't heard much of them lately and I hope they're doing good.
  • Volke Aeno, Sumer and Foodies: These three have provided me with TONS of snapshots in the past and I really would like to say thank you to them. Their work has given us way more than I could have dreamed to work with as far as unique card images and themes. I really do appreciate all the time you must have put into taking so many shots.
There are many of you who have contributed to the TCG in one way or another. I've been sent hundreds of ideas, suggestions, and the occasional snapshot or ten. Xyless allowed me to use his derpy images for the vending machine cards. Chookie, Sakram3nt, Silly, and others have worked with templates or various smaller images we wanted to put on the cards. NinoskaFlores has helped in the design room, and there are many of you who I can't name due to sheer mass that have contributed various smaller tasks. I'd like to thank you all.

Now, to celebrate this year's TCG Anniversary I've created a new category on your MyCards page.

This new Keepsakes category is an expansion on the original TCG idea where members will be able to collect various items that aren't directly TCG related but still are worth the collectable.

Many of you have suggested in the past that the TCG get a category where we create Moderator trading cards and cards that relate to the various aspects of the site. Until now, I've had a hard time with this. Trying to create trading cards and templates with new designs on them that only relate to the site is much harder than you'd think, but last night I had a great idea and so I've planned another approach to remedy this.

This new Keepsakes category will allow members to collect other small tokens about the site that aren't trading cards. These objects will include Booster Pack wrappers, posters, dolls and an endless possibility of new items.

For example, when you buy a booster pack, you will have a 1 in 10 chance that the pack's "wrapper" will still be in tact enough to collect them. Full Wrappers can be recycled for a few points back. Trashed wrappers will be recycled for only 1 point. Then in the future I might make a forge for them .

Other items, such as Posters and different Smash memorabilia that aren't necessarily trading cards, will be collected through different means other than just buying booster packs. As of right now, these items aren't added to the TCG yet and the means of collecting them hasn't been put into work yet, but in time they will be.

Thanks again everyone! I'm glad that this year has been as good as it has, and I hope to keep it going.
6:40 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
OrangeFox
I Know Where You Live
OrangeFox has provided valuable testing services for the website.OrangeFox did something funny.OrangeFox helped a member with a problem.OrangeFox keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.OrangeFox gathered a group of friends and took down staff in a crew battle.OrangeFox contributed to the Stadium community.

FIRST
6:41 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Palutenas Finest - Admiral Pit
Veteran
Palutenas Finest - Admiral Pit did something funny.Palutenas Finest - Admiral Pit impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Palutenas Finest - Admiral Pit helped Mouse with development by contributing their time to the cause instead of just bugging him to fix everything.Palutenas Finest - Admiral Pit contributed to the Stadium community.

This is going to be very interesting.
6:45 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
hotdogturtle
Grandmaster
hotdogturtle is a moderator in the Stadium section!hotdogturtle has provided valuable testing services for the website.hotdogturtle is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.hotdogturtle did something funny.hotdogturtle impressed a staff member by doing something smart.hotdogturtle helped a member with a problem.hotdogturtle has referred new users to the site.hotdogturtle wrote an exemplary guide.hotdogturtle wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!hotdogturtle keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.hotdogturtle won a Custom Texture Contest! hotdogturtle defeated the site's Pokémon League Champion in a Pokémon battle!hotdogturtle won a Screenshot of the Week Contest!hotdogturtle contributed to the Stadium community.hotdogturtle has a combined score of 100,000 feet (30,480 m) in Brawl's Home Run Contest or 60,000 feet (18,288 m) in Melee's Home Run Contest.

I'd say that the last... 9 months have gone by really fast for the TCG.
6:50 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Indignation Shizo
Lord of the Rings
Indignation Shizo helped a member with a problem.

It's really been this long? Wow time sure seems to fly
6:53 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Sakram3nt
Dark Knight
Sakram3nt has referred new users to the site.Sakram3nt did something funny.Sakram3nt impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Sakram3nt helped a member with a problem.Sakram3nt keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Sakram3nt has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

huzza this idea made such a hit!
7:00 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Sam_The_Freshest

nice
7:03 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Whipped Cream
Shark

where's series 4
7:25 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Intricate Rhythm
Famous

cool
7:28 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
LoliBattleMachine
Spread the Love
LoliBattleMachine impressed a staff member by doing something smart.LoliBattleMachine helped a member with a problem.LoliBattleMachine won a Custom Texture Contest!

a whole year? seriously?
7:32 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
TheMetaknightLiesBroken
TheMetaknightLiesBroken is a troll. Please ignore anything said by this user.
"Troll"TheMetaknightLiesBroken is a shameless badge whore. Mods beware.
"Badge Whore"

Eggo wrote at 6:03 PM on Sep 27, 2011 :
where's series 4

there are series wtf? dat aint yu-gi-oh
7:33 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Kakashi of the Sharingan
Kakashi of the Sharingan rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Kakashi of the Sharingan did something funny.Kakashi of the Sharingan impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Kakashi of the Sharingan helped a member with a problem.Kakashi of the Sharingan won a Custom Texture Contest! Kakashi of the Sharingan has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

<3
7:35 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Pokedude

Thats nice.
7:36 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
_JeBuS_
Novice
_JeBuS_ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

I thought you were going to be able to play with the cards when I first heard of them
7:44 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Luckytime
Featured Large Artist
Luckytime did something funny.Luckytime impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Luckytime has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy. Luckytime won a Large Art of the Month contest!Luckytime won a Signature of the Week contest!

Happy one-year! Looking forward to the free ****! icon_biggrin
7:52 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Izumi-kun
Let's Make a Contract
Izumi-kun has provided valuable testing services for the website.Izumi-kun would like you to make a contract with them.Izumi-kun is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Izumi-kun did something funny.Izumi-kun impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Izumi-kun helped a member with a problem.Izumi-kun keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Izumi-kun has referred new users to the site.Izumi-kun gathered a group of friends and took down staff in a crew battle.

Neato.
7:54 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
hotdogturtle
Grandmaster
hotdogturtle is a moderator in the Stadium section!hotdogturtle has provided valuable testing services for the website.hotdogturtle is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.hotdogturtle did something funny.hotdogturtle impressed a staff member by doing something smart.hotdogturtle helped a member with a problem.hotdogturtle has referred new users to the site.hotdogturtle wrote an exemplary guide.hotdogturtle wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!hotdogturtle keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.hotdogturtle won a Custom Texture Contest! hotdogturtle defeated the site's Pokémon League Champion in a Pokémon battle!hotdogturtle won a Screenshot of the Week Contest!hotdogturtle contributed to the Stadium community.hotdogturtle has a combined score of 100,000 feet (30,480 m) in Brawl's Home Run Contest or 60,000 feet (18,288 m) in Melee's Home Run Contest.

Quote (originally posted by Eggo):
where's series 4

It's back in summer 2011; get your time machine ready.
8:01 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Awesomeguy1
Gamer
Awesomeguy1 rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Awesomeguy1 has referred new users to the site.Awesomeguy1 did something funny.Awesomeguy1 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Awesomeguy1 helped a member with a problem.Awesomeguy1 has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy.

And to think some people didn't believe this idea would last this long when this first came out. Congrats one the successful one year and thanks to everyone who helped one this for so long for us to enjoy.
8:08 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
GOG
= ' ^ ' =
GOG is a super moderator for the site.GOG is way, WAY, too in love with the game Okami.GOG feels the power of the auraGOG is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.GOG did something funny.GOG impressed a staff member by doing something smart.GOG helped a member with a problem.GOG has referred new users to the site.GOG is a furry. This user is a friend to animals everywhere, is willing to spend $1000+ on a mascot fursuit in which to parade around, and is the problem with the world. Secretly, this user is an animal, but pretends to be a human when spotted by one.GOG has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy. GOG gathered a group of friends and took down staff in a crew battle.

Good Stuff!
8:17 PM Sep 27 2011 2011
Hamek
>:U
Hamek did something funny.Hamek impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Hamek helped a member with a problem.Hamek keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Hamek contributed to the Stadium community.

If this idea keeps branching out it'll become a really big and important part of aib.
Page: 1 2 3

Quick Jump
rss