New Ideas Thread

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4
10:22 PM Jan 17 2012 2012
Shurikan

New Ideas Thread
I have not seen a thread about community ideas for ssb so Im making one now (i hope this can become a sticky.)

this thread is meant for expressing ideas, whether it’s a character idea, game mode idea, item idea or a whole new concept idea.

i am going to share my ideas and would like to have feedback and i cannot wait to hear other ideas as well.

remember NO TROLLING sometimes bad ideas can actually LEAD to BETTER ONES this can be done with friendly communication not "that’s retarded" plz be nice to one another.

now I shall begin my idea. It is a new concept for ssb.

SPECIAL MOVESET CUSTOMIZATION
The idea is to be able to unlock new special moves for a character and be able to switch a new move with an existing one.

for example:

Pikachu's special sideways is "skull bash" thats great and all but i want a special move for close range. Lets say i used pikachu a few times and have unlocked a new move for the special sideways. lets say the new move is "Iron Tail".

*first i go to customize...
*then go to pikachu within the character roster menu...
*then select which special move i want to customize EX: special up, sideways, and down.

*then select which move you want to replace the current one with. In this case i want to select "Iron Tail" to switch with "Skull Bash"

* simply comfirm thats what you want to do and bam! sideways special is now iron tail.

This new concept can be great and if done right by the ssb development team then this MAY fix the issue regarding balance. as diffrent moves changes the idea of character matchups.

this concept can leave players months with something to do (as Mr. Sakurai said himself he wanted some sort of lv up and experiance points ) well with this it can be accomplished.

by the way i left out plain special(no direction) because i think all characters should keep their plain special move.

sigh....actualy i just forgot lol

thank you for your time.

wtf i cant belive i misspelled switch
Last edited by Shurikan, 10:51 PM on Jan 30, 2012
6:04 PM Jan 18 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

hmm, if anything, I'd like to see Final Smashes as a charged up level 2 variation... guarantees a KO, with few exceptions (teching for instance), but difficult to pull off and getting interrupted instantly knocks out the Smash ball out of you... and perhaps less powerful, but highly damaging "Super Smashes" as the level 1

I can see this happen for a few characters, and perhaps even go so far as to transition the broken FSes to said charge attacks, though I'd have to be creative if I want to make such ideas for all characters... and I'm open for ideas, since the idea JUST popped up in my head...

besides that, I've actually had a little something stewing around my mind for the longest time, perhaps the thought of Making your own Event Matches. I'm actually willing to take challenges to custom event matches, but I'd like to know first if the idea would be worth trying. and it doesn't have to be exclusively against CPUs... though how that works depends on the idea, since Special Brawl isn't an online options (which sucks...)

I have a video made that gives a summary to the latter concept, but I haven't uploaded it yet, since I'm not sure if it'll take off.
9:23 AM Jan 19 2012 2012
Shurikan

mabe if we can have were if a player obtains a smash ball and manages to hold it till another one comes up and gets that without getting damaged then thats what makes it lv 2?.

to make it fair the player with a smash ball must make even more damage to the other ball in order to obtain it.? i guess lol
10:31 PM Jan 19 2012 2012
Tesh
The Very Best

This is pretty cool. It would be pretty awesome if it would lead to literally hundreds of even thousands of "unique" characters.
10:35 PM Jan 19 2012 2012
Shurikan

Quote (originally posted by Tesh):
This is pretty cool. It would be pretty awesome if it would lead to literally hundreds of even thousands of "unique" characters.

indeed my freind......indeed.
1:15 AM Jan 20 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

Quote (originally posted by Shurikan):
mabe if we can have were if a player obtains a smash ball and manages to hold it till another one comes up and gets that without getting damaged then thats what makes it lv 2?.

to make it fair the player with a smash ball must make even more damage to the other ball in order to obtain it.? i guess lol

YMMV on that... because it might depend on the frequency on the items. it definitely would promote items being okay with low frequency.

course... what happens if two players activate one Smash Ball's worth of a super ... should it miss completely, or does it stalemate in some way...?

and what about my latter suggestion? or should that wind up in Custom Games...
8:11 AM Jan 20 2012 2012
Shurikan

Quote (originally posted by SlickSP502):
YMMV on that... because it might depend on the frequency on the items. it definitely would promote items being okay with low frequency.

course... what happens if two players activate one Smash Ball's worth of a super ... should it miss completely, or does it stalemate in some way...?

and what about my latter suggestion? or should that wind up in Custom Games...
hmm i guess if the opponent obtains the other ball while the other still has one while force the other ball out of the other player?...i guess its a concept that wont really work out in the end....idk. i would like to see your concept in video though...

heres another idea i had in mind..
ready for another one.

here's a new concept...

SMASH BALL ATTACK SHIFT!

the idea is when after obtaining the smash ball the user can change a different smash ball attack by pressing the taunt buttons. after pressing a taunt button the characters flame changes color signaling that a different attack has been shifted.

why have just one special attack?

sometimes peaches sleep attack and luigis circle can be a bit under powering. so why not have different ones for different situations.

and yes i know some people can make under powered moves work im just giving an example.
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
5:50 PM Jan 20 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbhuA2cWOA

I'm admittedly still a bit of an amateur in making videos, but here's an an overview video I had for my little custom event match idea, it sort of started as a dare I made on another forum, back when Brawl was still really big...
8:14 PM Jan 20 2012 2012
Shurikan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbhuA2cWOA

I'm admittedly still a bit of an amateur in making videos, but here's an an overview video I had for my little custom event match idea, it sort of started as a dare I made on another forum, back when Brawl was still really big...

some of thosed rules remind me of a mini game type of deal which i would actually enjoy...

and it not a bs mini game like pinball or some ****..it actually useses brawls core gameplay itself which at the same time playing a mini game like those can also help ones experiance level..

for ex:

MINI GAME: sheild, dodge, and block...

the thing is you are only limited to sheild, dodge, and regular a button attacks.

there is a special character for this mini game and only for this mini game. lets say its a space ship that can shoot lazers. as it shoots lazers at you, you must to PERFECT sheild(as in only sheilding at the exact time when an attack hits and it makes that TING noise) well you must perfect sheild the lazer or dodge or block it with an attack(just a simple punch can cancel out amlost any projectile.)

every time you sheild dodge and block the lazers a meter goes up...or if you get hit it will go down. it will also go down if you dont perfect sheild. once the meter is full it will go on to the next lv. which kicks it up a notch and is much faster...

soooner or later a player must be wise as to how to block or dodge the lazers as some lazers are longer than others THUS some require to dodge and cannot be blocked or canceled with a hit.

this simple mini game can actually train a lil bit..
6:43 AM Jan 21 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

some of thosed rules remind me of a mini game type of deal which i would actually enjoy...

and it not a bs mini game like pinball or some ****..it actually useses brawls core gameplay itself which at the same time playing a mini game like those can also help ones experiance level..

for ex:

MINI GAME: sheild, dodge, and block...

the thing is you are only limited to sheild, dodge, and regular a button attacks.

there is a special character for this mini game and only for this mini game. lets say its a space ship that can shoot lazers. as it shoots lazers at you, you must to PERFECT sheild(as in only sheilding at the exact time when an attack hits and it makes that TING noise) well you must perfect sheild the lazer or dodge or block it with an attack(just a simple punch can cancel out amlost any projectile.)

every time you sheild dodge and block the lazers a meter goes up...or if you get hit it will go down. it will also go down if you dont perfect sheild. once the meter is full it will go on to the next lv. which kicks it up a notch and is much faster...

soooner or later a player must be wise as to how to block or dodge the lazers as some lazers are longer than others THUS some require to dodge and cannot be blocked or canceled with a hit.

this simple mini game can actually train a lil bit..

as interesting as that training idea is, the video was actually guidelines for others to use in making custom event matches

These two videos were from a few years ago, when I did it, the concept got somewhat big and I got plenty of requested ideas, of course, this was another forum. before, I technically had a 3 minute time limit due to normal replay limits, but I now have a way around that. and now that I have a laptop to replace my broken one... well, yeah.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaxKrmAEB9U
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxze9u7myuA
*Signature under construction*
10:24 AM Jan 21 2012 2012
Shurikan

as interesting as that training idea is, the video was actually guidelines for others to use in making custom event matches

These two videos were from a few years ago, when I did it, the concept got somewhat big and I got plenty of requested ideas, of course, this was another forum. before, I technically had a 3 minute time limit due to normal replay limits, but I now have a way around that. and now that I have a laptop to replace my broken one... well, yeah.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaxKrmAEB9U
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxze9u7myuA

ah, i see.

here's another idea, but i still think this idea is kinda iffy as it could add good veriety or ...not.

but how do you feel about being able to charge your airials like you can on the ground? execptions for me are...

*takes half the time to fully charge and airial than a ground smash.

*while chargeing a player cannot fastfall and for the breif second of charging the character is actualy falling pretty slowly. of course after the attack is released the player is able to fast fall.

if done right by the developers this could add alot more options to stratagy and veriety to a fight.
4:08 AM Jan 22 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

ah, i see.

here's another idea, but i still think this idea is kinda iffy as it could add good veriety or ...not.

but how do you feel about being able to charge your airials like you can on the ground? execptions for me are...

*takes half the time to fully charge and airial than a ground smash.

*while chargeing a player cannot fastfall and for the breif second of charging the character is actualy falling pretty slowly. of course after the attack is released the player is able to fast fall.

if done right by the developers this could add alot more options to stratagy and veriety to a fight.

that's definitely a possibility. though, given the concept, I think it might have to apply to specific attacks in general. it might likely work best by adding additional knockback to an attack as well as increasing the damage by... perhaps half (+.5). it would definitely nerf a few characters who rely on sweetspot moves, like Zelda's Lightning Kick, Falcon's knee, or Sonic's Bair kick, but at the same time, it could give the attacks some additional use if used well... like increasing knockback on a charged Stale attack to balance out the move decay and such.

it could work wonders with Meteor Smashes, too... because how much you charge depends on how fast your enemy is shot down... can also work well with mindgames, since you have to wonder if they charge it or not.

while I'm still stuck on it, am I safe to assume the event match thing would wind up in custom games?
11:22 PM Jan 22 2012 2012
Fenn
The Write Stuff
Fenn wrote an exemplary guide.Fenn impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

Two brief ideas:
- Aerial Smash Attacks: Why limit smash attacks to the ground? Give everyone 4 basic aerials (up, down, left, right), and four smash aerials that do greater damage (but can't be charged like ground smashes). Some smash aerials would be meteor smashes.
- Special throws: Each character, after grabbing the opponent, can press B to perform a special throw with unique properties.

Regarding Smash Balls, instead of having them as an item, I'd have them as special attacks. Each character has 2 Final Smashes: a Final Finisher and a Final Recovery.

To use a Final Finisher, the player holds down L+R to charge it, then presses A. These moves are quick, super-powerful moves designed to KO. Players can use this once per game. Final Recovery moves are defensive moves that counter a opponent's move, create space between the player and their opponent, or help them recover from off-stage. To use this move, you must be on your last stock (on in the last minute of a timed match), and you must not have used a Final Finisher yet. Hold down L+R, then press B. You can only use one Final Recovery per game.

I think this method balances the moves better than having it as an item. You could always leave the Smash Ball in the game too: it could provide you with an extra Final Smash charge.
Help me prepare for E3 2012!
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=1909092#p1909092
8:04 PM Jan 23 2012 2012
Shurikan

^ lovin the special throw idea icon_biggrin i love anything that adds more veriety to a fight as long as its simple and can be executed well by the developers.
11:08 PM Jan 23 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

Final Finisher kind of reminds me of BlazBlue's Astral Heat finishers. they're meant to only be used once, as it is designed to kill instantly. personally, I would think the Recovery be a little more lenient than that... I mean, sure, the last stock is one thing, hence the name... but the way you describe it, it just sounds more like desperation is a likely means of better counterattacking, I've seen a couple games try to pull that gimmick, and let's just say it worked so well, "Broken" is an understating title for it, maybe "Shattering" would suit it better.

if anything, what REALLY ought to happen are more opportunities to heal! it would vary depending on the character, but at the very least we can see much more stubborn light or middleweight characters... perhaps it could also help offset their weaknesses. to balance it out, getting hit while you're trying to heal, results in increased knockback or damage, making it extra difficult in anything outside of Team Battles, as well as risking punishment from distance attackers.

as for offense, I will most certainly agree with Fenn's suggestions on Aerial throws, though to be fair, it should likely be more on the higher risk/reward scale. as for Air Smashes, that's still something I'd like to brainstorm about... I mean, sure, we have shortcut means of pulling them off with a left analog stick, but if we weren't able to get one, what could be a reliable alternative? I mean, sure, we could do the Smash the stick + attack button, though that might wear down the joystick pretty fast...

in the meantime, perhaps I could also mention some more usage of the "Smash Specials" like how Samus can fire not just homing missiles, but Straight-shooting Super Missiles... perhaps more usage of such a concept would lead the question, "Accuracy or Power...?" one side moves better, and is more likely to hit, whereas the other deals more damage but is likely a straight shot or less accurate.

.....sheesh, suddenly I feel like I'm starting to make Smash feel more like a game of chess... street fighter's already gotten to that extreme already (so I've been told)...
11:22 AM Jan 24 2012 2012
Fenn
The Write Stuff
Fenn wrote an exemplary guide.Fenn impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

Final Finisher kind of reminds me of BlazBlue's Astral Heat finishers. they're meant to only be used once, as it is designed to kill instantly. personally, I would think the Recovery be a little more lenient than that... I mean, sure, the last stock is one thing, hence the name... but the way you describe it, it just sounds more like desperation is a likely means of better counterattacking, I've seen a couple games try to pull that gimmick, and let's just say it worked so well, "Broken" is an understating title for it, maybe "Shattering" would suit it better.

^True, it can be very unbalanced. That's why I suggested that it uses up your Final Finisher in the process. If you've already used your finisher, you can't perform a Recovery, and you only get one per match, AND it's not usually a reliable killing move.

f anything, what REALLY ought to happen are more opportunities to heal! it would vary depending on the character, but at the very least we can see much more stubborn light or middleweight characters... perhaps it could also help offset their weaknesses. to balance it out, getting hit while you're trying to heal, results in increased knockback or damage, making it extra difficult in anything outside of Team Battles, as well as risking punishment from distance attackers.

This could work, so long as it's kept to a minimum. The problem I see is on the first stock, as soon as one player gets the other to a high %, they knock them away, heal, rinse, repeat, then get the KO, and now the other player is even more screwed since all the damage they dealt has been negated.

Having some %-draining attacks that "transfer" % damage from your character to the opponent would be neat though.

s for offense, I will most certainly agree with Fenn's suggestions on Aerial throws, though to be fair, it should likely be more on the higher risk/reward scale. as for Air Smashes, that's still something I'd like to brainstorm about... I mean, sure, we have shortcut means of pulling them off with a left analog stick, but if we weren't able to get one, what could be a reliable alternative? I mean, sure, we could do the Smash the stick + attack button, though that might wear down the joystick pretty fast...

If aerial throws work like ground ones, then you're right in saying they'll be high risk. Jumping at a character in the air without attacking is VERY risky, as any aerial they put out will hit you before your throw connects. I would advise that aerial throws should only have pummel, left, and right throws as an option, otherwise 'll have peopele grabbing and "meteor throwing" people downward off stage for an easy kill. Then again maybe that would be cool, and it certainly wouldn't be easy.

As for air smashes, we have ground smashes already, and if that doesn't wear down the stick to fast adding aerials won't do much harm.

n the meantime, perhaps I could also mention some more usage of the "Smash Specials" like how Samus can fire not just homing missiles, but Straight-shooting Super Missiles... perhaps more usage of such a concept would lead the question, "Accuracy or Power...?" one side moves better, and is more likely to hit, whereas the other deals more damage but is likely a straight shot or less accurate.

Great idea! I can think of plenty of moves that could benefit from this. If you smash a special:
- Fox/Falco/Wolf's dash could have a longer delay, but cover more distance.
- Donkey Kong's recovery could have more vertical distance than horizontal.
- Mario's cape could pull him forward more.
- etc.

....sheesh, suddenly I feel like I'm starting to make Smash feel more like a game of chess... street fighter's already gotten to that extreme already (so I've been told)...

Not to worry. None of these additions would keep people from playing Smash casually. Something Nintendo fails to understand is that you can please both casual and core gamers buy providing choices and options. As long as the game's basics are easy to comprehend (A attacks, B does specials, Up to jump), they can add as much depth as they want and casual players can still play their own simple, fun-first matches while ignoring the complex and advanced stuff.
8:01 PM Jan 24 2012 2012
Shurikan

damn you guys! about the smashing speacials idea!...i was just about to post that too lol oh well. i just want to see what pikachus thunder will be when smashed or charged lol .

awsome ideas guys keep em commin.
11:11 PM Jan 24 2012 2012
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

I could go on all day with thing's I'd like to see in something...

a more practical use of the in-game currency, perhaps not just for continuing (which I will avoid with a passion, starting over if I have to) but perhaps also to use in getting very special unlockables or content for the game... and while I'm at it, while the Brawls themselves have a lot of options, especially for local multiplayer, I personally would like to see some more idea submissions outside of a simple screenshot, some random Stadium record, or a submitted stage. this'll likely be the last time I talk about this, and after that I'll likely try giving a demonstration by posting an example or two later. but I'd like to see some ideas in customizing various scenarios, such as Event matches, or even make custom target tests. difficulty depends on how creative a creator is, but I could totally see something like these getting more of a replay. oh, and it would likely make single player much different if it has various options for sale, especially in adventure mode, where it could grant temporary boost in something, like increasing stats of give special abilities for a while. it could make an alternative to unlocking much more difficult characters, a game mode or two, and LOADS of concept/fan art (at the cost of being ludicrously expensive, but good if parties play co-op and accumulate money quickly without thinking too much of it. Inspired by BlazBlue's shop concept.)

besides that, Lag was naturally a regular thing to see in amateur worldwide networks like nintendo WFC, but for the most part, I've managed to get used to that after some time. but as much as everyone would like to see a game done on better, stronger, and more efficient servers, there's a lot of options from local Multiplayer that I'd like to see go online:

First and foremost, SPECIAL BRAWL!! I'm sorry, but I really hate how I can't have wild gimmicks such as reflect (projectiles are useless), Stamina (give it some fighter feel or sorts), or Flower (Avoiding getting hit if you want to live longer) go online. while I will admit that having too many features at once will likely cause a server to crash and burn eventually, it would be nice if the possibility were available, with a limit... hell, it would be absolutely AWESOME if on random brawl, each Special brawl's features were chosen at random as well, and they would always change (except the camera, I don't think many n00bs would take that very well), and it would even be shown ahead of time. for the sake of alleviating stress on a server, however, it could perhaps have a maximum of two or three different gimmicks at once. either way, not ONE match will be the same, and it will easy put those intent on a winning streak to a major test, as well some some of them possibly being downright hilarious (two minutes of giant/mini Super Sudden death with flowers, "Whacked" won't even begin to describe it's humor).

Tournaments... okay before I get shot down about connections, lag, and "Gay" mode characters, I'm talking about an actual ladder. i figured a disconnection system could easily go like this: first, there would be a registration system in place just in case you get cut off completely from the net. secondly, the whole tournament would likely take place on a different server, also for easy access in case of d/c. thirdly, during a tournament, if one player disconnects suddenly, the Computer will take over (after a good 30 second halt in gameplay) and said disconnection would be recognized by the server. in the event the disconnected player tries again, a second preset match will play out ("two stocks, 6min time limit) and the winner will advance... if the same player disconnects, the server will automatically declare it a forfiet, and the connected player that remains advances. sure, the system sounds like it might discourage lousy connections, though I suppose it's a necessary evil in a fight against ragequitters... can't admittedly say anything about "Gay" characters, though, except "find a flaw... there's always something off somewhere."

Rotation brawls... I've recently seen this gimmick improvised with four players, but it would probably be great for online parties who prefer singles, and it could have a scoring and rotation system (winner/loser swaps/stays) to show who's highest ranked. everyone not participating would essentially be on spectator mode until it's their turn. it could even be divided into two teams for crew battles. I found the idea from a BlazBlue calamity trigger review saying how it could be reminiscent of classic arcade quarter matches. sure, the feature is on local, but it's much better suited for online, without question.

Like I said, I could go on further, but I'll stop here for now.
Last edited by SlickSP502, 11:26 PM on Jan 24, 2012
11:20 AM Jan 25 2012 2012
Fenn
The Write Stuff

Brawl's online was one of the biggest disappointments I've found in video games. SO much potential, SO much, all wasted. Matchmaking worldwide should work like this: Before searching, you set the following filters:

One on One/Free For All/Either
Items On/Items Off/Either
Stock/Time/Either

A community system similar to Mario Kart 7 but more efficient would be fantastic. The community leader can set the rules, and selectively disable items, stages, and characters. That way pro-MK players can play with him in one community, while anti-MK players can enjoy matches without him in another community. Throw in weekly and monthly leaderboards, and a tournament hosting function to boot.

And of course, like you said, offer full selection of modes (like special brawl) in private online rooms.
5:03 PM Jan 25 2012 2012
Parasol

Shurikan, this is a pretty neat idea, and it would definitely add a new meaning to character potential and tiers. Chances are, however, that it won't ever happen. From what we know, Sakurai is a fan of simplicity; he's not going to step out of his way to add any sort of complex customization to the individual character--especially not where competitive balance is concerned. (He couldn't care less about that.) This whole thing about making the 3DS version "more personal", I'm sure, will most likely just involve something like showcasing achievements or certain records. Nintendo is all about keeping things fair and fun; I can't see them hindering the options of the player who only owns the Wii U installment.

But again, your concept is fantastic, and I would love to see myself proven dead-wrong with its inclusion in the upcoming game.
(I've always thought Pikachu needed that Iron Tail for his side special. Imagine if it could spike when used as an aerial.)
Page: 1 2 3 4

Quick Jump
rss