Guide to Terms / Techs / Acronyms Updates 6/12/08 - A guide to Smash terminology and other confusing stuff

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
3:41 PM Apr 24 2008 2008
Mr M
Friendly

Omg! Thanks alot Squid for posting all of this!!! There were some terms I didn't understand up until now!
Keep up the great work! ^-^
7:53 PM Apr 24 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

Quote (originally posted by Kagato):
You should add Claw-Hopping to the character specific list. Otherwise known as "Bowser's infinite jump."

I don't know how that works...so I wouldn't really be able to post it.

You mind writing a short explanation, Kagato? I would appreciate it...

@Mr M: No problem, man.

"The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it."
8:23 PM Apr 24 2008 2008
Plan 9
I Got This
Plan 9 has got this.Plan 9 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Plan 9 did something funny.Plan 9 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Plan 9 helped a member with a problem.Plan 9 has referred new users to the site.Plan 9 wrote an exemplary guide.Plan 9 wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!Plan 9 keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.Plan 9 won a Signature of the Week contest!

lol, I remember hearing somewhere that it was called a sex kick because it knocks you up, although that really works with just luigi

also boozer's infinite jump is pretty easy, get on FD and double jump, do the koopa klaw right before hitting the ground and jump again, somehow
Last edited by Plan 9, 8:24 PM on Apr 24, 2008
8:35 PM Apr 24 2008 2008
Deez
Best on My Block
Deez is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Deez impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

Quote (originally posted by dmbrandon):
Actually, dickface, there was no dashing upsmash.  you could cancel the dash, in melee, with crouching into an upsmash (Mostly used by fox players) or they would JC Upsmash.

I was a melee player, and I was probably better than you.

Melee doesn't matter anymore.  If you wanna talk **** on people, then prepare to get flamed.  You think I'm retarded, then you should be able to beat me.  If we ever meet at a tournament, I challenge you to a 100$ money match.

make it $200 and meet me at the next tourny in chicago.
ive seen your vids... and they dont impress me
icon_sad
9:40 AM Apr 27 2008 2008
Whereslawldo

nice list, i didn't know people put this much time into the game, lol
2:31 PM Apr 29 2008 2008
Tenki
Smart
Tenki wrote an exemplary guide.Tenki did something funny.Tenki impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

-SAF - super armor frames. Frames during certain attacks, movements, etc, where you can take damage, but cannot be knocked back, most notably moves like Aether, among others.

-FSJ is also used for footstool jump.

Also requesting to find out wtf IASA means.
2:17 AM May 3 2008 2008
DRGN
The Very Best
DRGN is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.DRGN helped a member with a problem.

This is good. And definitely useful to those that're new.

I suggest taking some of the subjectivity out of there though, there's quite a bit. Like opinions of what terms are "stupid".

I'm also not really sold some stuff there is really "advanced", heh, like dashing and putting up your shield (Shield Cancel Dash, Dashing Shield Cancel, Dash canceling, Dashing Shield etc), or the following "Shield Cancel Grab, Dashing Shield Grab, etc". Maybe people actually use those when talking about Brawl, but I know I've never even considered naming those things in Melee.

EDIT: Also, IASA stands for 'Interuptible As Soon As' frames, which are frames of an attack that, if you input another attack, the current one will end and the new one will start. Think Melee Marth's dtilt.
Last edited by DRGN, 2:19 AM on May 03, 2008
6:02 PM May 5 2008 2008
Mood4food77
Baller
Mood4food77 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Mood4food77 did something funny.Mood4food77 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

why doesn't someone make a video that explains all of these

especially glide tossing, glide cancelling, and snake dashing, cause those are the hardest things to do and people really need to see it before they can perform it

or someone just post a link up

all i know is that snake dashing is useful for wolf, snake, wario, falco, jiggs, sheik, and link (cause they're the only ones i've seen actually go farther than a normal dash cancel)
Last edited by Mood4food77, 6:09 PM on May 05, 2008
9:45 PM May 16 2008 2008
Alfonzo

I searched Spacing on the list and didn't get a result. Can someone clear it up for me?
10:17 PM May 19 2008 2008
_Mooch
Signature Artist
_Mooch is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

nice list! but i'd like to recommend adding a pretty important character specific AT for Ganondorf:

Thunder Storm - the automatic lag-cancelling of Ganondorf's Dair by short-hopping and starting the move right as Ganon leaves the ground. If done right, the usual lag after the Thunder Drop will be gone, allowing Ganondorf to do literally any move immediately after landing.

Ganondorf players should NEVER attempt a dair against a grounded opponent any other way!
8:25 PM May 24 2008 2008
TheKoopaBros.
TheKoopaBros. contributed to the Stadium community.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this but, although very difficult you can walltech off ledges after getting hit. I was Ness and my opponent Wolf spiked me, but I teched to the site of the ledge on Final Destination and bounced up unharmed. I haven't seen any mention of it.

I would have posted a video but the match was 5 minutes long. If this is already known, I'm sorry.
7:26 AM May 29 2008 2008
Kimchi
Veteran
Kimchi rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Kimchi wrote an exemplary guide.

Sex kick, LOL nice.
3:26 AM Jun 4 2008 2008
Adriel
The Very Best
Adriel is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

What does IASA (frames) stand for?
11:01 AM Jun 6 2008 2008
AvariceX
Spread the Love

You could add:

IC Chaingrab: Like D3 Chaingrab except the grab is repeated by carefully positioning the idle Ice Climber during a grab and having him/her grab the victim right after the other Ice Climber throws him/her.

IC Grabsmash: (I don't know if this has another name) While one IC has the opponent grabbed, the other IC can hit them with a (charged) fsmash.

Zapjump: Can be done by Ness and Lucas.  Basically cancelling their awkward midair jump animation in favor of a much faster animation by using certain moves like PK Fire or Air Dodge immediately after midair jumping.

Quote:
What does IASA (frames) stand for?

IASA (frames): Interruptable As Soon As (frames) - These are the first frames during an attack that you can interrupt/cancel your own attack by inputting another action.

Quote:
I searched Spacing on the list and didn't get a result. Can someone clear it up for me?

Spacing: Knowing the range/reach of your (and your opponent's) moves and staying at the ideal distance to be able to attack your opponent while not getting attacked back. DDD's ftilt and fsmash are good examples of moves that benifit from good spacing.

CD Factory: A stage made with the stage builder designed to simplify fast CD collecting by having Sandbags roll to you on conveyor belts while you attack them for rare items (CD's, stickers).

And since you didn't really want to go into DI here's a simplified version of it if you like:

DI: Directional Influence:  When being attacked you can influence what direction the knockback will send you by tilting the control stick in any direction.  You can also influence what direction you move in while freefalling in the same way.

PKT2: PK-Thunder 2 / PK-Thunder Missile.  For Ness and Lucas; an attack done by hitting yourself with PK-Thunder, sending you rocketing away from the PK-Thunder.

Swallow/Ganon/Regi/DDD/Bowser/Kirby-cide  Any of those words followed by 'cide' (eg. Bowsercide), refers to KO'ing your opponent in a way that also KO's you (suicide).  Kirby and Dedede can do this with neutral-b (Inhale), Bowser with forward-b (Koopa Klaw), and Ganondorf with forward-b (Wizard something). (Regicide refers to Dedede and is a pun on his royal status).

SD: Self-Destruct - KO'ing yourself without the help of your opponent.

(if I'm wrong on any of these please correct me, I'm only posting the ones I'm fairly certain of though)
Last edited by AvariceX, 9:34 AM on Jun 26, 2008
12:41 PM Jun 7 2008 2008
The Chupacabra
Ho Ho Ho
The Chupacabra did something funny.

good addition avarice

this is a great guide for deciphering rather common techniques.
also with king DDD it might be noted that he can infinite grab certain characters without dashing although im sure you can find it elsewhere on the forums but would serve as a good warning here to people who are rather new and plan to fight against D3
yes caboose, i am a gay robot
11:18 AM Jun 16 2008 2008
Fenn
The Write Stuff
Fenn wrote an exemplary guide.Fenn impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

From a newbie...
Quote (originally posted by DRGN):

I'm also not really sold some stuff there is really "advanced", heh, like dashing and putting up your shield (Shield Cancel Dash, Dashing Shield Cancel, Dash canceling, Dashing Shield etc), or the following "Shield Cancel Grab, Dashing Shield Grab, etc". Maybe people actually use those when talking about Brawl, but I know I've never even considered naming those things in Melee.

It's advanced to some1 like me who has nvr played outside my town. I consider myself a veteran cause I've been playing since N64 but I had no idea there were all of these moves. I could beat most people I played with reflexes and knowledge of the chars basic movesets but shield canceling was way new to me. So it's advanced to someone who hasn't been exposed to the Smash community.

On a side note I don't plan on ever playing competively (tournaments, etc.), but I wanted to raise my game to as high a lvl as possible. This thread helped me get right into the swing of things so thx Squid for the guide.
Last edited by Fenn, 11:19 AM on Jun 16, 2008
1:42 PM Jun 22 2008 2008
Toast Man
Popular
Toast Man rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't even know half of all these.
1:43 PM Jun 22 2008 2008
Toast Man
Popular
Toast Man rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't even know half of all these.
3:35 PM Jun 28 2008 2008
Sy.
Friendly

4 things:
A] Maybe I'm wrong but the guide described lag as downtime AFTER an attack. I think lag can be consider as wind-up time b4 an attack to right?
B] On bombsliding, it says Link & can... left out TL.
C] some1 said ffas in a chat. I guess it meant Free for All Sets. Is that used enoght to add?
D] Nice guide, very helpful. =]
Brawl Code
2406-5039-4574
Mario Kart Wii Code
2879-0716-2294
6:08 PM Jul 2 2008 2008
Serevii045

what does IC mean?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Jump
rss