How do you beat Game and Watch!?

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4
4:16 PM Feb 11 2009 2009
Deez
Best on My Block
Deez is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Deez impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

tinks uair beats the key right? that could mean a pretty low percentage kill. i dont know too much about the matchup just some speculation
4:27 PM Feb 11 2009 2009
DonkeyKongUh
Ask me anything
DonkeyKongUh rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.DonkeyKongUh did something funny.DonkeyKongUh impressed a staff member by doing something smart.DonkeyKongUh helped a member with a problem.

Dk's upsmash also beats the key
5:51 PM Feb 11 2009 2009
A2ZOMG
Pretty Good
A2ZOMG is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Quote (originally posted by DonkeyKongUh):
Dk's upsmash also beats the key
If you hit his hand to the side, it doesn't since the hitbox is directly above DK.

I really don't care that TL's U-air beats G&W's D-air.  You can avoid it very easily regardless.
Last edited by A2ZOMG, 5:52 PM on Feb 11, 2009
6:06 PM Feb 11 2009 2009
Mood4food77
Baller
Mood4food77 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Mood4food77 did something funny.Mood4food77 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

doesn't the turtle outrange almost all of marth's moves if perfectly spaced?

also, nade camping is greater than all of what marth offers
7:44 PM Feb 11 2009 2009
A2ZOMG
Pretty Good

Quote (originally posted by Mood4food77):
doesn't the turtle outrange almost all of marth's moves if perfectly spaced?
Nope. Marth can easily Jab, F-air, counter, N-air, F-smash, etc etc if he has the guts to challenge G&W's range.  Actually I should restate that, "if G&W has the guts to challenge Marth's range".

Quote:
also, nade camping is greater than all of what marth offers
Getting grabbed out of nade camping and then thrown upwards for a juggle setup is not what I call greater than Marth's Up-B out of shield.  G&W can't afford to even TOUCH Marth's shield, because he will always get punished for it.  If he tries to do anything on the ground, Marth will just Up-B it or Dancing Blade out of shield which is safe against G&W.  If Snake isn't grenade shielding, G&W can just B-air his shield like he would against anyone else and go for a shield poke.

Believe it or not, Snake's grenade camping actually has FLAWS.  Marth's shield camping against G&W on the other hand doesn't have any real flaws outside of the mistakes the player makes.
Last edited by A2ZOMG, 7:48 PM on Feb 11, 2009
11:42 PM Feb 11 2009 2009
Pyro Squirrel Lord
Chuck Norris Got Nothin'
Pyro Squirrel Lord gladly meets new members. Heart!Pyro Squirrel Lord did something funny.Pyro Squirrel Lord helped a member with a problem.

Quote (originally posted by DonkeyKongUh):
-.- Game and watch is very prone to getting killed off the top as usually the nair won't finish fast enough for him to bucket.  Off the side there is more room+time to apply this technique.

and at the spamming b button with meta... that was just for lulz

what i said was for teh lulz too.

but seriously, LANDMASTER. it's rape on wheels
8:45 AM Feb 12 2009 2009
Armus
Friendly
Armus did something funny.Armus impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Armus helped a member with a problem.

Quote (originally posted by 9KiLL):
1) use wolf
2) camp and wait
3) when g&w get near, roll dodge then down smash
4) front smash
5) front smash a second time for mind games
6) roll dodge away and wait.
7) repeat 2 - 6 until victory

You lost me.

Wait, I just read the rest.
At first I thought you were serious.
3:38 PM Feb 18 2009 2009
kadardes
Staff Slayer

marth and snake are his worst matchups but snake is definitely worse.. i mean you have no approach.. and if he comes for you then you really can't do anything because of how weak of a shield that g dubs has..

snake usually won't approach anyway because he can just camp nades.. tech chasing is useless vs him because of how long his roll is and its impossible to get a grab anyway.. if he just pulls out a nade constantly every attack you do vs him will hurt you too which is worse because you're WAY lighter.. the only advantage that g dubs has is that he's way better in the air.. its hard to get a good snake into the air.. but yeah he's like impossible..

marth is also an incredibly hard matchup though because all of his moves outrange g&w and his stupid dolphin slash that can beat the bair in the middle of it.. i don't have as much experience vs marth but what i've had shows me that they're both incredibly hard but snake is much harder.. at least you have an approach with marth..

just my 2 cents
2:18 PM Feb 19 2009 2009
Praxis
Presidentially Peachy
Praxis is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Praxis did something funny.Praxis impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Praxis has referred new users to the site.Praxis wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!Praxis was elected the vice president of 2008!

Quote (originally posted by John12346):
Let's face it. Game and Watch is one helluva messed up character. All of his attacks, strategies, and traction shut out every approach you try to make.

All of his attacks share some common factors:
- ridiculously fast startup time.
- ridiculously long lasting hitboxes.
- ridiculously long range.
- ridiculous ability to build up damage/KO easily.
- ridiculously short ending time on his attacks.
- DISJOINTED, which means that even if you clang with it in midair, you'll be the only one taking damage.

Your first point is wrong. G&W's attacks all have slow startup, however, they have deceptive animations that don't let you see how far along the startup animation is, which gives the impression of fast startup.

Peach's nair is 2 frames, G&W's is what...ten?

Further, he doesn't have short ending time either.  Dair, bair, and fair all have a lot of lag.

Quote:

And Game and Watch just has some plain annoying features to him:
- DThrow leads in to way too many combos, and potentially a KO if you roll in the same direction he aims a hyphen smash.

Learn the timing and tech his dthrow as he throws you into the ground every time.  It becomes useless.

Quote:

- His aerial traction is amazing, so even if he misses with an aerial, due to his amazing range, he can back off without being punished at all.

But his lag on aerials is long enough that you CAN punish him for missing an aerial...I do it often. xD

Quote:

- His Bucket makes spamming for some characters virtually impossible.

Spamming is a bad tactic anyway if your opponent is halfway decent and can powershield.

Quote:

- His Bucket makes getting a KO even harder. (because of bucket braking)

Tru dat.

Quote:

Problematic Attacks (and Suggested Solutions)
- DSmash

Shield it, dash attack OOS or back away.

Quote:

- Bair

Learn the exact timing of it and it's properties.  There's a limited number of hits it will do on the shield (I know it by sound), then another hit occurs when the G&W touches the ground because it has a landing hitbox.  If misspaced you can shieldgrab the G&W between the last aerial hit and before the ground hitbox comes out, and if properly spaced you can usually do something out of shield; OR, learn what moves your character has that beat it and space with that move.

Your profile says you play Lucario.  Roll backwards and fsmash, he'll shy off the bair.  If he spaces high over your fsmash, run into the bair with your shield and you'll be close enough to him to grab at the right opening or jab him after he lands.

Quote:

- Nair

Don't let him hit you, lol.

Quote:

Proposed Strategies/Opinions (Blue means a G&W user suggested it. Red means a non-G&W user suggested it.)
- Get in close; don't let him space at all.
- If your character has long range, try to outspace him.

The latter statement is correct for your character.  Outspace him using fsmash and ftilt.

Quote:

Characters to Counter G&W (Characters mentioned only once will not be added.)
- Marth
- Snake
- Meta-Knight
- Toon Link
- Donkey Kong

If you're toon link, bomb spam when he's in the air and shieldgrab his smashes.

Donkey Kong is probably an even matchup, but use the fully charged punch to beat his bair with super armor.

Metaknight, shield his bair and up-B with the shield up (requires tap jump on).

Marth, do the same as Metaknight, or use counter.

Snake, pull grenade and shield, it rapes his back air, and ftilt and utilt outrange everything else he has.

Quote:

I'm not going to go into details, but anyone who's reading this thread for the same reason that I'm typing it/mains G&W knows exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone who also has trouble against G&W wants to throw in their opinions on how to beat him, go right ahead. If you main, G&W, I (or maybe we) would be very grateful for your input(character disadvantages, ways to punish certain attacks, stage disadvantages, etc...)

I will update this list whenever someone posts an idea. Help us out, please!

I don't main G&W, but I main a character he counters, and I beat G&W's often- I know this matchup.  Hopefully my post helps.

BarDulL wrote: bigfoot you're terrible at smash in general, you have no idea what you're talking about 90% of the time.
6:00 PM Feb 19 2009 2009
Pyro Squirrel Lord
Chuck Norris Got Nothin'
Pyro Squirrel Lord gladly meets new members. Heart!Pyro Squirrel Lord did something funny.Pyro Squirrel Lord helped a member with a problem.

D-throw does not become useless.
tech chasing Up smash
10:51 PM Feb 19 2009 2009
A2ZOMG
Pretty Good

G&W can techchase chaingrab most of the cast with D-throw if he predicts right.

His N-air comes out frame 7 I believe. Which IS fast. Also, B-air and F-air are both 10 frames, which is fast. Not super fast, but not slow at all. U-air is 6 frames.

Up-smash has a release time of 2 frames from a charge. Also....I'm pretty sure Toon Link can't shieldgrab it. The shield advantage on Up-smash is -8, and Toon Link's shieldgrab is 12 frames. Toon Link doesn't counter G&W anyway except on wifi where powershielding is impossible. IRL where his stuff can be powershielded easily, approaching him isn't hard at all, and G&W does more damage per hit, and has better edgeguarding and KO power.

G&W's Jab and D-tilt are both fast, just outclassed by some of the faster pokes in the game.

D-air DOES have low ending lag, in that most attacks aren't fast enough to hit it out of shield. B-air is much the same way. If he fullhops either B-air or F-air, there is very little ending lag.
2:16 AM Feb 20 2009 2009
cutter
People Know Me
cutter is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.cutter did something funny.

A note on GW's Dthrow... it's a techchase. Simple as that. It doesn't become "useless" when you tech it Praxis lol. Maybe if you're someone like Snake who has a huge roll and is better for Uthrowing anyway.

If you predict the techroll of a character with a mediocre to crap techroll you get a free hit or another grab. That's why it's called a techchase lol.

Quote (originally posted by Bigfoot):
you seem to be forgetting a metaknight counter, but its understandable since like 10 people play him total (me being one)
Dk wrecks metaknight, hes got more priority, more range, and waaayyy more power. one top of this, ftilt hits through mach tornado.
12:00 AM Feb 23 2009 2009
toobusytocare
Shark
toobusytocare rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.toobusytocare is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.toobusytocare did something funny.toobusytocare impressed a staff member by doing something smart.toobusytocare helped a member with a problem.toobusytocare has referred new users to the site.

Quote (originally posted by A2ZOMG):
G&W can techchase chaingrab most of the cast with D-throw if he predicts right.

His N-air comes out frame 7 I believe. Which IS fast. Also, B-air and F-air are both 10 frames, which is fast. Not super fast, but not slow at all. U-air is 6 frames.

Up-smash has a release time of 2 frames from a charge. Also....I'm pretty sure Toon Link can't shieldgrab it. The shield advantage on Up-smash is -8, and Toon Link's shieldgrab is 12 frames. Toon Link doesn't counter G&W anyway except on wifi where powershielding is impossible. IRL where his stuff can be powershielded easily, approaching him isn't hard at all, and G&W does more damage per hit, and has better edgeguarding and KO power.

G&W's Jab and D-tilt are both fast, just outclassed by some of the faster pokes in the game.

D-air DOES have low ending lag, in that most attacks aren't fast enough to hit it out of shield. B-air is much the same way. If he fullhops either B-air or F-air, there is very little ending lag.

i thought nair was faster than uair?

why do we use nair for bucket braking if uair is faster?
12:13 AM Feb 23 2009 2009
Mood4food77
Baller
Mood4food77 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Mood4food77 did something funny.Mood4food77 impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

nair is a faster move overall, uair has shorter start-up time
1:15 AM Feb 23 2009 2009
cutter
People Know Me

^ Correct. This is why you see GW use Nair before he does the bucket brake.

you seem to be forgetting a metaknight counter, but its understandable since like 10 people play him total (me being one)
Dk wrecks metaknight, hes got more priority, more range, and waaayyy more power. one top of this, ftilt hits through mach tornado.
9:32 AM Feb 23 2009 2009
A2ZOMG
Pretty Good

I get lazy and C-stick U-airs sometimes when it gets to be a pain to both DI and N-air. Just saying.
9:24 PM Feb 23 2009 2009
Meta_Wolf
Popular

His smashes are all pretty laggy, so thats ur chance to punish him. His aerials are the only things i have a hard time with. So pick a character with good ranged attacks from the ground. Marth would be best. Remember, GnW has a horrible appraoch on the ground, so be ready for an aerial approach.
"So...Chris Brown totally 3-stocked Rihanna"
Last edited by Meta_Wolf, 9:25 PM on Feb 23, 2009
2:06 PM Feb 24 2009 2009
cutter
People Know Me

Quote (originally posted by Meta_Wolf):
His smashes are all pretty laggy

GW's smashes have IASA frames and have extremely low cooldown.

Unless you're talking about the startup time. In that case only his Usmash is actually somewhat laggy (24 frames), but the move releases from a charge in 2 (!!!) frames and is safe on block.

2:25 PM Feb 24 2009 2009
AzNfinesse
People Know Me
AzNfinesse is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

step 1) pick meta knight
step 2) go to luigi's mansion
step 3) spam b
step 4) spam dsmash until stock is taken
step 5) rinse and repeat until 3 stocks are taken
12:03 PM Mar 14 2009 2009
mewtwo92099

Ok mr.game and watch is the 2nd cheapest character in my opinion but thats only if the opponet gives him the power to do so. The bucket is the easist thing to avoid just dont use attacks that it absorbs. His dodge roll puts him at a disadvantage because it is slow giving u time to smash him. His recovery is cheap so just avoid it. If he is use his arial a down just move and smash. If he is using his a combo u hav to go tword the ledge so that he cant hold u in it. His smash up can be contered easy depending on what character u use. His cooking can also be avoided easily as if u r a small character just crawl under it and att because he has to stay there for a while.
Page: 1 2 3 4

Quick Jump
rss