Lag lag lag - A guide on reducing what torments online players everywhere

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 · 4 5 6 7 8 9
5:53 PM Jul 20 2009 2009
Shinde425
People Know Me

My wifi matches are managable and all. I just wanna know if (assuming both connections are decent) the closer a player is to another (irl), will the lag will be less? (I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to make sure)
6:47 PM Jul 20 2009 2009
PSS
PSS helped a member with a problem.

Suggestion: Don't play online.
7:08 PM Jul 20 2009 2009
BFAA Kwiz
The Best Team Money Can Buy
BFAA Kwiz rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.BFAA Kwiz impressed a staff member by doing something smart.BFAA Kwiz helped a member with a problem.

imo Brawl's wifi is just bad in general. ;l
7:16 PM Jul 21 2009 2009
Jane

Quote (originally posted by Dawei):

TCP Outgoing (protocol must be TCP ONLY)
28910 Starting - 28910 Ending
29900 S - 29900 E
29901 S - 29901 E
29920 S - 29920 E
80 S - 80 E
443 S - 443- E

UDP Outgoing (UDP ONLY)
All ports (1-Max. Usually 65535)

The IP address will need to be filled in next, and will have a blank for the last numbers in the chain, such as 111.111.11.**
It is recommended that you use a number 10 above your IP, so in this case it would be something like 111.111.11.10. Some routers list the starting IP on the first page of the router cp, but if you don't just add 10 to the ip that you used to enter into your router cp.

After you have made all the ports (there should be 7) and set them all to the same IP address your finished with your router!

I HAS A QUESTION!

well... a few actually :O

ok so i have a linksys WRT54G, and when i go into the port forwarding section of my router, there is only 10 "slots" to put port forwarded stuff.

at the moment i only have two "slots" used up - one for utorrent, and one for steam, both of which i set up thanks to portforward.com (gotta love that site) and im just wondering, do you really need 7 "slots" for just one game? o: i dont really care since i have room for them i was just wondering why etc

secondly,
"UDP Outgoing (UDP ONLY)
All ports (1-Max. Usually 65535)"

im not sure what you mean by that, like, what do i put in start, and what do i put in end? haha im sorry please dont hate me for not knowing!

and one last thing, i average around 60ms D: is that bad?
8:58 PM Jul 29 2009 2009
HTA

Quote (originally posted by Jane):
I HAS A QUESTION!

well... a few actually :O

ok so i have a linksys WRT54G, and when i go into the port forwarding section of my router, there is only 10 "slots" to put port forwarded stuff.

at the moment i only have two "slots" used up - one for utorrent, and one for steam, both of which i set up thanks to portforward.com (gotta love that site) and im just wondering, do you really need 7 "slots" for just one game? o: i dont really care since i have room for them i was just wondering why etc

secondly,
"UDP Outgoing (UDP ONLY)
All ports (1-Max. Usually 65535)"

im not sure what you mean by that, like, what do i put in start, and what do i put in end? haha im sorry please dont hate me for not knowing!

and one last thing, i average around 60ms D: is that bad?

Yes, games and gaming systems in general usually needs multiple ports.
For example, the 360 need 4.

There is the option of opening all ports to a selected IP,
However, this is unadvised if you can simply make all the ports.

The UDP ports all need to be open is basically what it means.
Your ports have a maximum quantity, so make the starting 1 and the ending the maximum.

I have a remade version of this guide, since Dawei "borrowed" it from me (icon_razz) and will post it if you guys so desire.
It has been somewhat simplified and expanded on, but the basic information is still the same.
Last edited by HTA, 9:01 PM on Jul 29, 2009
8:59 PM Jul 29 2009 2009
HTA

Quote (originally posted by Shinde425):
My wifi matches are managable and all. I just wanna know if (assuming both connections are decent) the closer a player is to another (irl), will the lag will be less? (I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just trying to make sure)

Yes, the shorter the distance the information has to travel the less latency you will experience.
3:56 AM Jul 30 2009 2009
Jane

Quote (originally posted by HTA):
Yes, games and gaming systems in general usually needs multiple ports.
For example, the 360 need 4.

There is the option of opening all ports to a selected IP,
However, this is unadvised if you can simply make all the ports.

The UDP ports all need to be open is basically what it means.
Your ports have a maximum quantity, so make the starting 1 and the ending the maximum.

I have a remade version of this guide, since Dawei "borrowed" it from me (icon_razz) and will post it if you guys so desire.
It has been somewhat simplified and expanded on, but the basic information is still the same.

thank you so much HTA! i have my ports forwarded ready to go, and i definately do notice a difference in speed! much props to Dawei and HTC for helping the brawl community in this way icon_biggrin
2:01 PM Aug 2 2009 2009
Dawei
Better Than You
Dawei is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Dawei did something funny.Dawei impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Dawei helped a member with a problem.Dawei has referred new users to the site.Dawei wrote an exemplary guide.

HTA, your guide is worse than mine. Mine has way more info and I'm more helpful than you.
3:13 PM Aug 2 2009 2009
HTA

HTA, your guide is worse than mine. Mine has way more info and I'm more helpful than you.

lol sure dave
4:04 PM Aug 3 2009 2009
darkieee

I'm trying to do all this but when I type my IP adress in my browser it shows nothing.

it says something like this:
Connection interrupted
the connection with the server was re-installed during the loading of the page.
 The network link was interrupted during the negotiating over the connection.  Try it again.
10:46 PM Aug 3 2009 2009
HTA

Quote (originally posted by darkieee):
I'm trying to do all this but when I type my IP adress in my browser it shows nothing.

it says something like this:
Connection interrupted
the connection with the server was re-installed during the loading of the page.
 The network link was interrupted during the negotiating over the connection.  Try it again.

That's interesting.
I would say make sure you are using your Gateway IP, this is he one specific to your router and not your computer or something like that.

Otherwise, and I know this sounds stupid, but make sure you actually have a router and are not mistaking a modem for a router.
If none of this works, I am clueless.
I can do some research, as you should... but that is the first time I've heard that.

Visit www.portforward.com as well, and find your router should you have one.
It usually gives you information on how to access your router's settings.
1:08 AM Aug 9 2009 2009
YoshQ
Staff Slayer
YoshQ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

you need to say where the "nat option" is, i have no idea.
Quote (originally posted by Praxis):
There are no girls on the internet.

Quote (originally posted by EarthBoundEnigma):
That is just because in these hard times there aren't any computers between the kitchen and the dining room. XD

Very Legit Survey-for-free-stuff site, no credit required(free $2.50 at signup)
talk to me for help

4:10 PM Aug 9 2009 2009
HTA

Quote (originally posted by YoshQ):
you need to say where the "nat option" is, i have no idea.

Again, please read the entire guide.

Not all routers allow you to change the NAT option directly.
It will generally be under the WAN (Wireless Area Network) tab, but if it is not, opening the ports specified in the guide will automatically open the NAT for your Wii.
5:34 PM Aug 9 2009 2009
APHuskies

Dawei your to pro
12:02 PM Sep 1 2009 2009
darkieee

So I have another verion of Windows on my computer now and I have 2 problems.

When I Run CMD and type "IPconfig/ALL" it says "the system cannot find the patch specified"

Also when I'm on the site of my IP then I can't read anything because the letters are some wierd symbols like my computer can't read them.

and lastly when I do all of this does it have any influence on any other thing like computer internet or something?
8:35 PM Sep 2 2009 2009
HTA

Quote (originally posted by darkieee):
So I have another verion of Windows on my computer now and I have 2 problems.

When I Run CMD and type "IPconfig/ALL" it says "the system cannot find the patch specified"

Also when I'm on the site of my IP then I can't read anything because the letters are some wierd symbols like my computer can't read them.

and lastly when I do all of this does it have any influence on any other thing like computer internet or something?

1. Ipconfig, not Ipconfig/ALL.
2. Is your version of Windows legal and genuine?
3. Is it Windows 7?

Reset your router if possible. All this will do is reset your router to factory defaults, and I doubt you have changed them. And I mean a hard reset, not a power off/on cycle.

Otherwise, you are encountering some strange problems.
Try accessing the router from a different computer, even a laptop will do.

And last question, no.
7:10 PM Sep 3 2009 2009
Dawei
Better Than You
Dawei is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Dawei did something funny.Dawei impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Dawei helped a member with a problem.Dawei has referred new users to the site.Dawei wrote an exemplary guide.

HTA, it is ipconfig /all . The only thing I can think of that might be wrong is you're not putting a space between ipconfig and /all. No idea for your second question. And like HTA said, opening the ports, as long as you do it right, won't effect anything else.
7:28 PM Sep 3 2009 2009
HTA

HTA, it is ipconfig /all . The only thing I can think of that might be wrong is you're not putting a space between ipconfig and /all. No idea for your second question. And like HTA said, opening the ports, as long as you do it right, won't effect anything else.

Either one works, and normal ipconfig gives you all you need really.
But yes, its has to be-

ipconfig(space)/all
6:44 PM Sep 10 2009 2009
~Princess Peach~
Famous

Quote (originally posted by PSS):
Suggestion: Don't play online.

lol but i already did icon_razz
9:35 AM Sep 15 2009 2009
BOKU
Friendly

Can someone take a screen shot of the how they entered in the port forward numbers? I'm not sure how to do it...I use a belkin router and its a little weird.
Page: 1 · 4 5 6 7 8 9

Quick Jump
rss