Why do you use the Character you use?

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 8
6:17 PM Jun 30 2010 2010
Komic
Almost Famous
Komic rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.

Why do you use the Character you use?
Hello people. Haven't posted much here on the forums, but anyways, this is a question I've pretty much wanted to ask. Why do you use the characters you use/main?

As for me, I ONLY use characters I actually like outside of the games (Which is most, but not all).

I main Kirby, whilst my best secondaries are Yoshi and Ness. Characters I like but use 'here-and-there' are Link, Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, King DeeDeeDee, Mario, Wario, Peach, Bowser, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Ice Climbers, Diddy Kong and Toon Link.

Being a big Kirby fan, I've always chose Kirby the first I play the Smash Bros. games. Kirby was pretty much the reason I even got the original N64. If he wasn't there, I doubt I would even be here today (which is stupid, since Mashiro Sakurai, the creator of Kirby and Smash Bros. wouldn't exclude his own character(s)). Sure, other characters like Pikachu and Mario could potentially attract me, but Kirby is the only 'deal sealed' character to grab my interests.

So, yeah, I main Kirby because I just LOVE that character. Always loved his games (favorite is between Kirby's Dreamland 3, Kirby SuperStar and Kirby's Adventure). I was extrememly disappointed how he turned out in Melee, but at least another favorite, Ness,  was at least there to main. I actually switched around in Melee, from Ice Climbers, Young Link, Marth (who I was curious about where the hell he had came from back then) and Shiek. But Ness was the most used character of them all. Guess the only legit reason I like Ness is not only the character himself, but Earthbound, which was my first RPG.

Anyways, I feel like 90% or more people are only using characters based on tiers; sometimes people misinterpret the definition of tiers- or at least when it comes to Smash Bros. (to be honest, the tier list is useless to me. I just don't care about a messy list). I was really looking forward to maining ALL 3 of the Kirby characters; and hoping that Knuckle Joe were to be playable, only to be disappointed and finding out he was just an Assist Trophy (and same goes for Saki from Sin and Punishment and Jeff). MetaKnight is just too... Fake.. As in, the things he does in Smash Bros. doesn't entirely reflect what he does in the Kirby games- as in his attacks and how different- yeah, not going further into that since MOST of the characters do things they don't do in their games, but of all I think MetaKnight stands out, especially if you're a big fan of the Kirby franchise as I am. DeeDeeDee, you know, he's fine. I could add him as a 4th Main/secondary if I wanted to. Plus, not many people are using him. But he's kinda awkward for me. Yet, he works for me.

Enough of my rant, so I use Kirby and Ness because I love that games they originated from. What's your reason?
6:33 PM Jun 30 2010 2010
Arikags
Assistant
Arikags helped a member with a problem.

I used to main Kirby, but I didn't really get satisfying results because I wasn't able to progress from my noobishness with him. I moved on to main Marth, and along the way picked up Olimar, C. Falcon, and Ganon too.
Marth: His metagame, his ATs, his speed and agility... It all just worked for me. I am a natural Marth.
Olimar: I enjoy playing as a ridiculous character like Olimar, pwning people online with multiple pikmin at once. He's just so fun!
Falcon: Captain Falcon is a VERY FUN character. If you actually can play as him(like me, I hope.), you get very satisfying results.
Ganon: Dair
Balanced Brawl FTW!
6:34 PM Jun 30 2010 2010
-LzR-
Host

You have the wrong image, not many people chose their characters on tiers. Probably most chose their favorite character among the higher tiers. I just love Jigglypuff, but I really don't want to main a crappy character. I main Rob because he is just a cool plastic Robot with lazors and Gyro, he is simply awesome. My other main is Zamus, her metagame is incredibly fun and the suit pieces are scary in my hands icon_razz

Also, I used to main Meta Knight, because I am also a big Kirby fan myself, as a fact, my first main was Kirby, until I unlocked Rob. Rob is still my main after all the switching. I can never switch my main again, it's too late and I am happy with that.
Quote (originally posted by xzx):
I thought you knew better. You're a MK main after all. I know more about MK than you, lol. SL actually gives that knockback, you can't DI upwards. It gives that gay knockback. Have you ever got hit by that? In that case, the Wario couldn't DI, because it gives that kind of knockback. Facepalm at you, -LzR-.
6:57 PM Jun 30 2010 2010
Komic
Almost Famous

Quote (originally posted by -LzR-):
You have the wrong image, not many people chose their characters on tiers. Probably most chose their favorite character among the higher tiers. I just love Jigglypuff, but I really don't want to main a crappy character. I main Rob because he is just a cool plastic Robot with lazors and Gyro, he is simply awesome. My other main is Zamus, her metagame is incredibly fun and the suit pieces are scary in my hands icon_razz

Also, I used to main Meta Knight, because I am also a big Kirby fan myself, as a fact, my first main was Kirby, until I unlocked Rob. Rob is still my main after all the switching. I can never switch my main again, it's too late and I am happy with that.

I guess I'm going to have to believe you when it comes to why people use the characters they use- I'm kinda out of the loop and just playing the game.. Just to play.

As for ROB, I played with him many times before- And I'd say I was fairly good with him. But I couldn't leave my Kirby behind haha. I'm kinda glad to see ROB in Brawl, considering he popped up in Mario Kart DS unexpectedly and has gathered some new fans because of that. I loved how back then people BASHED of ROB, saying he's "useless and should have never been in Brawl. He's a plastic ROBOT for god sakes", but as it turns out, he's one of the best in the game. Not to mention, fun to use. Now people don't talk sh!t about him. So I hope.
7:25 PM Jun 30 2010 2010
Koric
Quicksilver

My main is Jigglypuff. I do not main any secondaries.

I staring to play Jigglypuff since that was one of my three favorite pokemon on Pokemon Yellow. Of course it was because if this is that I instinctively decided to main Jigglypuff during the Super Smash Bros 64 times and since afterward, I also main Jigglypuff at Melee and Brawl at the very moment I unlock her at each of the games.

Even though Nintendo weaken her greatly on Brawl, that doesn't mean I should stop playing favorite pokemon and main smash character. That's is just why I play Jigglypuff and I'm perfectly content wiht it.
9:05 PM Jun 30 2010 2010
Aus0115
Friendly

Ive used Peach since melee came out and I use her in all the mario party games and some mario karts and sports games I also use her cus I like owning people with girl characters.
1:41 AM Jul 1 2010 2010
Insectica
Spread the Love
Insectica did something funny.

Tier list + paralyzer.

Get at me.
4:10 AM Jul 1 2010 2010
Darknid
Got Lucky
Darknid impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

Quote (originally posted by Luna.):
Tier list + paralyzer.

Get at me.

Yes. Get at you. With one of ZSS' 30:70 top tier matchups.
http://www.formspring.me/darknid

7:14 AM Jul 1 2010 2010
Vox
People Know Me

My main char is Fox. Starfox games are the best! and actualy.. I also play with Falco and Wolf
10:49 AM Jul 1 2010 2010
DeathReaper12
The Very Best

I main Falco because he's my favorite video game character ever. Star Fox 64 is the best game ever and it also introduced me to Falco. As soon as I heard him say: "Falco here, I'm fine.", I knew I would love this badass smartass. I've used Fox on all the games and Falco even more on all the ones he's on.

Off Topic: In the next smash, they should include Leon. He has an awesome voice and I love hearing him say: "I think I'll torture you for a while." or "Andross has ordered us to take you down." or "You're not as tough as I thought.". I'm not sure what accent he uses, but I think it's british. Here's a funny video including all those lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5sqqtkQy-c&feature=related

Anyway, yeah, I use Falco because he's awesome and I thought he was awesome the first time I played Star Fox 64 (Which is my favorite game ever).
Brawl Number: 2234-9378-3200.
Main: Falco
Second: Marth
Third: Link
Forth: DK
Fifth: Pit
11:00 AM Jul 1 2010 2010
LEGOF
Profile Illuminator
LEGOF rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.LEGOF keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.LEGOF participated in the Karaoke Contest!

Peach can handle and/or mess up a lot of people's plans. Her air game is a challenge if you're priority/dodging isn't very good. Her turnips can set up some good mind games and I feel she's underrated.
6:55 PM Jul 1 2010 2010
Insectica
Spread the Love
Insectica did something funny.

Quote (originally posted by Darknid):
Yes. Get at you. With one of ZSS' 30:70 top tier matchups.

Yeah.
No one else in the entire roster can paralyze hur dur.
7:09 PM Jul 1 2010 2010
Ganondorf12345

I started maining Ganon in Melee for his high attack and hit absorption (I meant taking a lot of hits without dying). In Brawl, it's basically the same reason, but now I can use lagless thunderstomping and chainchoking to my advantage. I don't care if he's the lowest on the tier list, he's a fun character to use and kill with.

I use snake because I feel that he's a good transition from Ganon (don't ask me why or how lol). I haven't gotten the mindgaming part all the way down, but it helps to have chainchoking experience when abusing the down grab. Plus, blowing up stuff is fun. 

Ike is also a good main for me because he's like Ganon with a sword. He has strong attacks that are slow and has no projectiles. I'm still working on his jab game though.
Sig by Kayzee:

8:27 PM Jul 1 2010 2010
AxcelTheBrawler
Helpful
AxcelTheBrawler impressed a staff member by doing something smart.AxcelTheBrawler helped a member with a problem.

simply because it's fun and I'm good with them because of that. Really that's the only reason you need to main a character. Maining them just because they're good or top tier is a stupid reason to main a character. If you like a character you are likely to be better with them than you would with a character you dislike.
Last edited by AxcelTheBrawler, 12:34 PM on Jul 07, 2010
12:07 AM Jul 3 2010 2010
FireFlowerWeegee

Well I use Yoshi cause I like Yoshi, Luigi in his Fire Flower Costume because well.....and Pit if i have to face a spammer. (fight fire with fire)
7:06 AM Jul 3 2010 2010
Ember Charge
Record Setter

I wanted to use Ike alot when I first got the game(mind you I had no information about competitive play AT ALL) but that passed fast. Then when I got good on basic brawl(online) I used Falco for the longest time but I really don't know the reason why I like Falco so much. I mean, sure he's cool and that could be why but I just picked him and satyed with him for some reason, and of course Wolf was right there with Falco as well and I know why I used him, he's friggen awesome. Then I went to Sonic cuz he was pretty fun, until realized what I had to do to win...-_-

EDIT: tl;dr
Falco because I don't know
Wolf cuz he's pretty legit
Sonic cuz he is kinda fun once you get down all those mindgames and how he sucks at everything
v By Firebomb, Thank you

Quote (originally posted by Dark Falco):
Airok, you are either retarded or a really really good troll.
2:01 PM Jul 3 2010 2010
96 Quite Bitter Beings
Baller

I use Luigi cuz he's my favorite Nintendo character, and I've used him since the original Smash Bros game. That and he's relatively easy to use.
Why don't presidents fight the war? Why do they always send the poor?

3:15 PM Jul 3 2010 2010
Komic
Almost Famous

Hmm, interesting.

@DeathReaper Leon would be pretty cool, actually. But maybe Pigma as well- though, he died in StarFox Assault, but I doubt that's stopping him from getting into Smash because a character's status within their game pretty much has no effect in Smash Bros, so whatever haha

It's pleasing to see people choose characters based on the fact that they like or even love them outside of Smash. Hell, that was the POINT of Smash Bros anyways. Pick your favorite Nintendo (well, besides Snake and Sonic) and pit them against another character and go nuts.

As for Jigglypuff, I don't think she's ALL that weak. I feel like her attacks has a bigger impact in Brawl than in Melee, yet then again, I haven't played Melee in two years.

Oh, and I HATE Ike. I'm not saying he sucks, because that's obviously not true- but I hate him. Something about him just doesn't 'click' with me haha.
4:17 PM Jul 3 2010 2010
Luckytime
Featured Large Artist
Luckytime did something funny.Luckytime impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Luckytime has an eye for classic game sprites and a head for modern gaming's legacy. Luckytime won a Large Art of the Month contest!Luckytime won a Signature of the Week contest!

R.O.B. tl;dr: Because he can fly.

Random facts about R.O.B.:

Laser ruins recoveries and controllers. Gyro: Is VERY shiny. He can glide toss at his own convenience (which is the most fun **** to do in the game). He can phuckin' fly. His up-B physics are confusing and scary which discourages most people from coming near him. He has no sex (unique!). He has a meteor smash (I laugh at everyone who mains a meteor smash-less character). Uair will impregnate you with 24%. He can throw people faster than they can blink. He can take up to 3 meteor smashes and still survive. The only character without a programmed helpless state. He can KO you from across the screen before you know what happened. Fair gimps. Side-B gimps + makes your opponent throw their controller. He has a jab-lock. Only character that can use his own aireals to recover (badass).
Visit my art thread!
5:11 PM Jul 3 2010 2010
-LzR-
Host

Rob's uair does 18-19% damage btw.
Quote (originally posted by xzx):
I thought you knew better. You're a MK main after all. I know more about MK than you, lol. SL actually gives that knockback, you can't DI upwards. It gives that gay knockback. Have you ever got hit by that? In that case, the Wario couldn't DI, because it gives that kind of knockback. Facepalm at you, -LzR-.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 8

Quick Jump
rss