competitive brawl tips

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1
6:01 PM Feb 6 2012 2012
NovaSmash

competitive brawl tips
I'm trying to get into brawl and i am wondering what is the best character to use for new players. I have played ssb64 for 3 years so i find myself trying to alot of ssb64 stuff (like uair combos with falcon, uptilt combos with kirby) and obviously it just doesn't work. Also what are some good all-around strategies for brawl if there are any.
4:05 PM Feb 7 2012 2012
Shurikan

brawl does feel alot different and yes some stuff cant work in brawl like it can in 64 but as for character selection choose who ever fits you and/or your playstyle. just keep playing brawl, try to do all the solo modes like classic, all star, and the adventure mode. also if youre wondering what kind of combos or stratagys there are just look here

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185253

on that forum is ALOT of info from basics to advance techniques. look around that site a bit. it can go into detail all the way to frame data and whatg not.

6:59 PM Feb 7 2012 2012
NovaSmash

Quote (originally posted by Shurikan):
brawl does feel alot different and yes some stuff cant work in brawl like it can in 64 but as for character selection choose who ever fits you and/or your playstyle. just keep playing brawl, try to do all the solo modes like classic, all star, and the adventure mode. also if youre wondering what kind of combos or stratagys there are just look here

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185253

on that forum is ALOT of info from basics to advance techniques. look around that site a bit. it can go into detail all the way to frame data and whatg not.

Alright, thanks. Also, is it better to just play friendlies or join a ladder and play serious matches when first starting out? No doubt people on the ladder will destroy me but I might pick up more stuff that way.
4:27 PM Feb 9 2012 2012
Allshort17
Unstoppable

The best thing I can tell you is that you should just play everyone until you find someone you like. But, try to keep it down to your favorite one or two so you have an easier time focusing.

If you want get good practice I suggest you look for someone to play offline, at least about equal or better, who also has a desire to TRULY become better at the game and that you can constantly go to and play. This puts you in the best playing conditions because there is no lag and you have someone who knows your habits and vice versa, allowing you to easily test out specific things. By the way, what I mean by constantly go to and play is that you can easily see him or her any day of the week. So, go to as many smashfests and offline tournaments you can so you get to play a variety of people. If you can't play offline much, do so as much as you can but play as many wifi friendlies as you can. Ladder and be fun, but it puts your mind in a "play to win" state not a "play to learn" state that you need to improve better. So, just find a person as you would offline and play them every day online. But, make sure they have a GOOD connect or many things that should work won't and vice versa.

Just some general tips for improvement:
*Most important thing I have to say. If you want to learn, LEARN ONE THING AT A TIME! Please, if you read this don't expect to read it all and be able to apply all in one day. You'll just overload yourself and learn nothing. Instead, chunk things and learn them slowly one at a time. Focus on that one thing until you understand everything there is about that one topic. So, if you choose to accept my advice just read one step at a time, then learn to apply that step effectively before you even think about moving on. It takes a very long time and lots of commitment to do this correctly. I'm taking about at least 2 hours 4 times a week on one topic if not more.
*Accept the fact that you have A LOT to learn and are nowhere close to learning it all and you'll get better faster.
*Write down your ideas and findings so you can come back to them later. That also helps you remember them.
*Talk and ask questions while you are playing. Do it in the breaks between matches. You won't learn everything by yourself so ask anything that comes to mind and discuss it so you get a true grasp on things.
*Remember your mindset when you play. It is SO, SO important. Don't just john about your loses and blow them off, but actually look at what you could do to fix it. Keep yourself humble too. Never think any match is a free win/lose no matter who you are playing.
*Record as many matches as you can. Make sure they are matches where you are trying to win, not just testing out things, and if it's on Wifi then make sure it's a good connect too. Watch and rewatch these to see things you didn't see while you where playing.
*Watch videos of many higher level players. They don't all have to have your main in them because you can gain knowledge from all videos. Also, don't just watch one or two players because what you will tend to do is just copy their exact style and not learn and apply to your own. When you watch something, watch them from different points of view because most people like to just focus on one character or one aspect of the video. Moreover, pause when you need to to think about the situation that just happened, what options both players had, what could have gone better, what you would have done, ect.
*There is not just one way to play or learn. Learn to adapt to the situation and do what makes sense to you rather than just trying to copy pros.

TL;DR

I really hope you don't but if you do just read the first general tip for improvement and I will be very happy.

Good luck.
5:10 PM Feb 9 2012 2012
NovaSmash

I'll try to follow the advice and hopefully get better overtime. One thing I understand is that it takes time to learn and become good since its taken me 3 years to get to a decent competitive level at 64. Thanks for the in-depth advice.
10:08 PM Feb 28 2012 2012
Newbkirby
Friendly

Allshort17 Is absolutely correct. First and foremost have the attitude that you are not going to take the game seriously enough to cry about it but learn from your mistakes if you want to get better. If I were you pick good starter characters to get a good feel for the game like mario, or kirby (of course others). Since you don't know a lot about the game don't be naive to just think what you know later is the best. I would learn the basics first, then watch videos of how other people use characters in videos, and decide whether or not you like what they did or if you can do it,etc. Then once you have a good feel of the game(since the story mode in brawl is ridiculously long), and you know what your doing play against your friends...preferably people who are good and watch what they do in terms of dodging attacks, recovery, and winning matches. Then once you feel your ready try and find out how to do attacks that are progressively harder, like Luigi's uppercut, chaingrabs, and using uptilts at the right time. Then you will be ready to go online. REMEMBER: you are not a scrub if you keep learning new things and not trying to boast about how much better you are then other people....unless these people you confront are scrubs. THEN BY ALL MEANS DESTROY THEM!
Newbkirby
1:05 AM Nov 4 2012 2012
christupboi7

play a person. record serious matches. watch and see what you did wrong. write'em down. work on them. play another person. wash, rinse, repeat.
Page: 1

Quick Jump
rss