So I was thinking about buying a PS3...

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1
5:20 AM Feb 19 2012 2012
Trickoon F
Popular

So I was thinking about buying a PS3...
Yesterday, my brother and I were playing Rayman M on our old PlayStation 2. For those who don't know, Rayman Multiplayer (Rayman Arena in North America) is a party game on PlayStation 2 and PC (Gamecube and Xbox versions are only in North America). As since the last time I booted up my PlayStation 2, I noticed the following issues on my brother's and my controllers: 

My controller (Player 1):
The material on the Left Analog Stick has been worn away (unlike my old Dualshock, where I bit it as a toddler). The up and left buttons on my controller don't seem to work (the down and right buttons seem to do though). The L triggers have seem to have 'caved in', (and decide to needlessly decide to go insane and start changing leagues, unless I hold the R1 button), and L2 just decided to work in the middle of a battle when I was barely leading and then it just decided to work and keep on locking on, causing me to lose the match.

My brother's controller (Player 2):
The wire is messed up (causing the 'no supported controller in controller port 2' BS), which causes MY controller to not read inputs and make me fall down the stage.

I was planning on selling my fat PlayStation 2, with a controller along with some (bad) games (we have a Wii and we have an Xbox 360) and POSSIBLY buying a Wireless Gaming Receiver and Rayman M for PC (maybe keeping it if it works on PS3).

But what do you think I should I do? If I am going to buy a PS3, I need to back buying a PlayStation 3 back with good games and ideas, because the only recent thing that's happened to PlayStation is that it's been hacked, so I might stay away with PSN. I'm already thinking about buying Toy Story 3 and Portal 2 for PlayStation 3, as TS3 has exclusively playable Zurg and Portal 2 has co-op with PC players. Not to mention WWE games support up to six players (even though one controller costs a lot, pretty close to £50 at Argos). And I already have a friend who has a PS3, so maybe we could play some titles like Toy Story 3, Portal 2, WWE '12 and Little Big Planet 3 together. 

Oh, and another thing: I already have a Nintendo Wii and an Xbox 360, so I'll probably have to budget on the console, not to mention that the controllers cost about £50, and most games on PS3 are multiplatform.
9:20 AM Feb 19 2012 2012
frequentpasture
Friendly
frequentpasture Submitted false scores to the Stadium.
"Had a wife and couldn't keep her."frequentpasture has referred new users to the site.frequentpasture did something funny.frequentpasture impressed a staff member by doing something smart.frequentpasture helped a member with a problem.

I bought my PS3 around thin time last year, and I'm still debating whether or not it was a mistake. While I loved LBP2, InFamous and Metal Gear Solid, I can't help thinking I rushed my decision.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should probably make sure you have enough money to buy a couple of decent games before you buy the PS3, since I sort of forgot about it after I tired of LittleBigPlanet.

Finally, make sure you buy and sell this stuff on eBay. I sold my friend's PS2 and 20 games for $175, if that helps you. I bought my 160 GB PS3 for $180.
10:51 AM Feb 19 2012 2012
Trickoon F
Popular

Quote (originally posted by staindgay):
I bought my PS3 around thin time last year, and I'm still debating whether or not it was a mistake. While I loved LBP2, InFamous and Metal Gear Solid, I can't help thinking I rushed my decision.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should probably make sure you have enough money to buy a couple of decent games before you buy the PS3, since I sort of forgot about it after I tired of LittleBigPlanet.

Finally, make sure you buy and sell this stuff on eBay. I sold my friend's PS2 and 20 games for $175, if that helps you. I bought my 160 GB PS3 for $180.

Thanks once again for your contribution, it's really helping me on these forums.

About the controllers, I'll just get once with a black Dualshock 3, and a white Sixaxis for my brother, he'll never know the difference. icon_biggrin
I'll look through my collection and try to sell all of my 'not as good' games to sell. Thanks.
8:23 PM Feb 19 2012 2012
Brim
Chatter Box

I feel like a dope for asking, but are you buying it also for using with your Playstation 2 games? I didn't feel like reading through everything in your post, sorry.
8:32 PM Feb 19 2012 2012
frequentpasture
Friendly
"Had a wife and couldn't keep her."frequentpasture has referred new users to the site.frequentpasture did something funny.frequentpasture impressed a staff member by doing something smart.frequentpasture helped a member with a problem.

If I'm not mistaken, you can still buy an older PS3 that is still capable of backwards compatibility. The 60 GB one, I think.
8:49 PM Feb 19 2012 2012
Brim
Chatter Box

Quote (originally posted by staindgay):
If I'm not mistaken, you can still buy an older PS3 that is still capable of backwards compatibility. The 60 GB one, I think.

Well that, but I was asking more due to the fact that the older Playstation 3s are next to impossible to find, and I'm almost certain Sony stopped making the particular model that's backwards compatible.  Or at least that's my understanding of it.  I personally don't see the point in buying a Playstation 3, unless you're looking to use a network that was practically destroyed by Anonymous--when that happened, I laughed my *** off, and even more so when Sony was sued numerous times for the incident.

But, sorry for my temporary douche-bag moment.
9:31 PM Feb 19 2012 2012
frequentpasture
Friendly

The network is fine, it was never better than XBL but it works as intended and I'm not worried for my information since I'm not a paranoid freak.

You buy a PS3 for the same reason as a Wii - exclusives!
12:06 PM Feb 20 2012 2012
Trickoon F
Popular

Both of you are making points here, and yes, I will be playing my old PlayStation/PS2 games if I get a PS3.
Page: 1

Quick Jump
rss