Guide to Terms / Techs / Acronyms Updates 6/12/08 - A guide to Smash terminology and other confusing stuff

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
8:59 PM Apr 1 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

Guide to Terms / Techs / Acronyms Updates 6/12/08
Guide to Terms/Techs/Acronyms
Last Update(s):

4/16/08
Added many general terms:
+ Mindgames, Lag, Hitlag, Tripping, Stun, Hit-stun, Combo(s), Natural Combos, Shine
+ Auto-canceling, Ink Dropping
Thanks to SMO for pointing most of these out!s

4/7/08
Thanks to dmbrandon who helped out alot and really cleaned up the guide.
Also, updated Dash Attack Cancel, and DLX Hit Cancel, thanks to metroid1117. They are apparently two different things.

6/12/08
Added SRJ, ISRJ, Yoshi's Wavedash and updating definitions!

---------------------------------

Disclaimer!:
Squid does not encourage the use of acronyms/lame terminology or the
creation of new acronyms/lame terminology. He is just trying to help
people who are new and/or don’t care about remembering every single
strange name people come up with for every little thing in the game.

Note: This is a preliminary list. There are definitely things I forgot.
I’m just putting them down as they fall out of my head. Please help me
complete this by posting more that I haven’t listed. Forgive the typos
and grammatical errors, I put this together rather disjointedly.

Stuff to get out of the way before proceeding/Miscellaneous:

SSBB – Lol. I’m just kidding. Calm down.
BTT – Break the Targets
Spacies – A stupid name for Fox, Falco and Wolf
AT – Advanced Technique(s)
John - Johning is a broad term. To "be a john" or "to john" just means to make excuses about how you're playing poorly on a certain day/match/etc. I.e. "Dude, the only reason I'm loosing is because I got two hours of sleep last night and I can barely move my right hand." is an example of being a John, or Johning. No Johns just means no complainers/people who make excuses.

Basic Terms:

F, U, or D followed by smash, as in fsmash, denotes a characters directional smash move. Fsmash is forward smash, usmash is up smash, and dsmash is down smash.

F, U, or D followed by tilt denotes a characters directional tilt move. Otherwise, same as above.

F, U, D, B, or N followed by air denote a character’s aerial move. Fair denotes forward aerial, etc. bair denotes back aerial (the direction your character is not facing) and nair denotes neutral air (the control stick is in the neutral position).

F, U, D, or B followed by throw denotes a character's throw and the corresponding direction.

General Terms:
To allow for easier searching of terms, use CTRL+F and thentype in the word your looking for (this lets me be lazy and not have to alphabetize things icon_razz)

Mindgame(s) - Any tactic involving trickery, deceit, intimidation, etc. Any tactic that can only be used on a human opponent to "fake them out", or the like, in order to get them t
o make a mistake.

DI - Directional Influence. There are many threads on this that will prove helpful to understanding this concept. I do not wish to go into it now.

SDI
- Smash Directional Influence. Inputting your DI during hitlag. See above.

SH – Short Hop. Lower than a normal jump. This is done by pressing and releasing the jump button quickly.

FF – Fast Fall. After a character has reached the peak of his jump (they’re falling back down), hold down on the control stick and they will fall faster. Also called small jump.

AD – Air dodge

Sex Kick - Another somewhat stupid name but in common use. An (aerial) attack which has a constant hitbox over time. An example would be Luigi's N-air. Some sex kicks have animations despite the hitbox not moving. (It's called Sex kick because it starts off hard, ends up soft, and winds up ****ing everything.)

Tripping - A random effect that happens while dashing. The character trips, falls on his arse, and onto the ground. Its not fun.

Lag - The downtime after a move. After performing a attack, the character that performed it experiences "lag", and cannot perform another action until the lag period has ended.

Hitlag - The time between you get hit with an attack and the actually knockback occurs. Noticeable with very powerful attacks.

Stun - Refers to a period of time where the character cannot move. The best example of a stun occurs when a character's shield is broken and is immobile or "stunned" for a short period of time.

Hit-Stun - Any brief period of immobility after an attack is landed on a character. Hit-stun simply refers to the fact that, after an attack, the character that received the blow is "hit-stunned", or unable to input actions or commands until the hit-stun wheres off. In Melee, where there existed a higher "hit stun" than Brawl, combos where more easier/existed because one could attack an opponent again during their hit stun.

Shine, Shining - Simply refers to using a reflector as an attack.

Combos - A sequence of attacks that land on your opponent. In Brawl, comboing is difficult (some say impossible, since the opponent can technically DI out of any combo), due to the lack of hitstun necessary to continue attacking without the opponent responding. Because of this, combos have been thought of as only possible through mind-game techniques.

Natural Combo - Any combo that is implicit in the game, such as Mario's standard neutral AAA jab (pressing A three time consecutively is an example of a natural combo). Marth's Side B is also an example of a natural combo.

Universal Advanced Techniques:

Auto-Canceling - Refers to some aerial moves being "automatically canceled" when the character performing them hits the ground before finishing the move, effectively canceling all the landing lag with the move.

SHFF – Exactly what you think. A short hop followed by a fast fall.

FFAD
– Fast fall, air dodge. All in one jump.

SHFFAD – short hop, fast fall, air dodge. All in one jump. Presumably causing you to hit the ground faster.

RAR, RARing – Reverse Aerial Rush. Basically if you’re dashing, tap back on the control stick right before you jump and you’ll continue in the initial direction while jumping, but facing the other way. This can also be done by B-Sticking and using using the C-Stick in the opposite direction of your dash to quickly get you off the ground facing the other direction. Particularly useful for characters with good bairs.

Tech, Ukemi – Simply means hitting L/R before hitting the ground. It allows your character to recover from the impact quicker and get to their feet.

B-Stick, B-Sticking
– Setting the C-Stick to use specials. Very useful. I’m not going into it here.

Foxtrotting – Basically using the initial frames of the dash animation over and over. Just keep tapping the control stick (takes some timing) in the direction you want to go. Some characters move faster this way.

Platform Drop Cancelling -
A technique that involves using a character's aerial move to remain on a platform immediatley after dropping through. Examples of this are Toon Link's Dair and Snake's Bair.

DAC, Dash Attack Cancelling, Snakedashing, Boost Smashing etc – I’ve heard a bunch of different ways of describing the same thing. Basically, this involves canceling the dash attack with a usmash or utilt, making the character slide as they charge their usmash. Only a few characters can do this. Most notably, Snake.

DLX Hit Cancel
- Similar to the Dash Attack Cancel, but you let the dash attack connect, and then cancel it, getting in your dash attack and your usmash. The effect is different, as well.

Shutter Step, Stutter Step, Shutterstepping – Using the intial dash animation to increase the range of your fsmash. You basically cancel the dash with the fsmash before your character begins dashing. You can do this multiple ways, depending on which direction you begin the dash. You can dash backwards and still smash forwards with extra range, or just dash forwards and smash forwards.

FJ, Footstool Jump
– Footstool jump. Basically jumping on someone’s head by pressing the jump button near their…well…head.

Glide Toss, Gliding Toss – Shield, hit a direction, and the c-stick while holding an item and the rolling animation will cancel, while still going the distance.  During which time, your character will throw the item in hard and have a chance to attack while it's in the air.  Not every character is capable of this.

Shield Cancel Dash, Dashing Shield Cancel, Dash canceling, Dashing Shield etc
. – Plus any derivation of Dashing, Shield and Cancel you can come up with. Basically you can cancel a dash by hitting the shield button while dashing. This makes it easier to do non-dashing moves while still almost dashing.

Shield Cancel Grab, Dashing Shield Grab, etc – Dash Canceling with a shield and then immediately grabbing your opponent afterward.

Hyphen Smash, Usmash Dash Cancel, Dashing Usmash, etc
– You can cancel a dash and go directly into a Usmash by well…Usmashing from a dash.

Jab Cancel, Jab Faking – Cancelling a jab, mid jab ‘combo’ by crouching/shielding. For characters that have three jabs (neutral attacks on the ground) in succession, you can cancel the last jab at any time by crouching/shielding.

Pivot Grab, Turn-around grab – Pass your opponent, quickly press the control stick towards your opponent and the grab button. Allows you to pivot and grab quickly. Has longer range than a normal grab.

JC Throw, Jump Cancel Throw, JC Toss, etc – Basically you can cancel your dash to throw an item in any direction by jumping then quickly throwing. Normally, you can only throw in the direction of your dash.

PS, Perfect Shield, Powershsielding – Perfect shield or Powershielding. Its covered in the manual…>_>. Basically, shield right as your opponent attacks. You will take no damage and have a chance to counter.

Hugging – Running off the edge and immediately press towards the stage to quickly grab the edge. Useful for edgeguarding.

Sweeping - Using moves that have tripping properties. These may cause your opponent to trip. Examples are Mario and Luigi's dtilt.

SRJ/ISRJ
- Using an ariel attack that ends one frame before hitting the ground, resetting the second jump counter.  This technique has no lag.  Most ariel A attacks are capable of this with extremely precise timing. 

Wavebouncing – A technique originating from B-Sticking. See B-Sticking.

Character Specific ATs:

SHL – Short-hopped laser. A short hopped laser. You can do this by SHing and hitting B…obviously.

Scarring, Stage Scarring - A wolf technique that can only be used on certain levels. When Wolf is hanging from the edge, hit back on the control stick to drop and then quickly use your forward B towards the stage. This allows Wolf to "move through" or teleport through the edge of a stage. This is useful for avoiding edgeguarding.

Quickdraw, Bow Cancel – Bow cancelling. A technique of Link/TL that involves shooting an arrow while in the air right before you land causing the arrow to come out faster (because part of the animation is cancelled). Not to be confused with Ike's Quick Draw ability.

SHDA, Short-hopped Double Arrow – A Toon Link ability. Short-hopping and quickly shooting one arrow, and then another after you hit the ground. See Quickdraw. To my knowledge, Link cannot perform this. It's not exactly a short hop double arrow, per se, but will keep this name until another, more suitable name is used.

Bombsliding - Link and can "place" their bombs on a stage by short hopping and dropping the bomb (pressing Z) right before they hit the ground. The bomb will slide if Toon Link uses his dair near the bomb due to the 'push back' upon landing. Useful for confusing your opponent and edgeguarding.

Glide Cancel – Any characters that can glide. Attack from a glide right before landing to cancel the glide landing animation. This lets you perform any action immediately after landing.

Snakedashing - See above definition of "Dash Attack Canceling". Snake's version of his technique sends him sliding upon using his usmash to cancel the dash attack, similar to wavedashing and shelldashing.

Shellshifting, Shelldashing, Hydroplaning – Squirtle can do this. Basically after turning in the opposite direction of a dash, squirtle can go into any action. You can also Usmash into a slide or "wavedash" from a shellshift, sometimes called shelldashing or Hydroplaning. I hate that last term, by the way, and I think it should be abolished for its lack of clear description.

Yoshi's wavedash:  By executing a double jump and quickly attacking with a sideways DI, yoshi will cancel the jumps, and slide across the ground roughly 1-2 meters in the direction chosen.  You may attack out of this technique with no lag frames.

Contributors:

- dmbrandon for taking his time to make a more pretty/clean version of this guide that's alot easier on the eyes. And for discovering Jab Faking, Shield Cancel Grabs, hyphen smashing, and Glide canceling; letting me know about them.
- smo for reminding me to include some general terms (lag, stun, etc).
- Pok for pointing out that I left out the Sex Kick.

"The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it."
Last edited by dmbrandon, 5:05 PM on Jun 12, 2008
4:52 PM Apr 2 2008 2008
Kyuukyuu

Quote:
I don’t know why this is called hyphen smashing, and its
somewhat common sense. You can cancel a dash and go directly into a
Usmash by well…Usmashing from a dash.

It's called hyphen smashing because dash smashing sounds lame.  A hyphen is a dash.
6:07 PM Apr 2 2008 2008
Finch

It's called hyphen smashing because the person who named it hyphen smashing is retarded, and also didn't play melee so wasn't aware that this existed in that game too and didn't have a name because it was unneccessary to name something so basic. If they did play melee and were aware of this then they're just a douche who comes up with ****ty names for things.
10:42 PM Apr 2 2008 2008
SephirothKen

Finsh, shut up. Hyphen Smashing is the coolest name that has ever been thought up.

l2 not make stuff up.
11:36 PM Apr 2 2008 2008
Pok

"Sex Kick" - another somewhat stupid name but in common use. An (aerial) attack which has a constant hitbox over time. An example would be Luigi's N-air. Some sex kicks have animations despite the hitbox not moving.
12:18 AM Apr 3 2008 2008
Kyuukyuu

Quote (originally posted by Finch):
It's called hyphen smashing because the person who named it hyphen smashing is retarded, and also didn't play melee so wasn't aware that this existed in that game too and didn't have a name because it was unneccessary to name something so basic. If they did play melee and were aware of this then they're just a douche who comes up with ****ty names for things.

Those were JC usmashes.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't just c-stick up and usmash in Melee.
10:36 AM Apr 3 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

Quote (originally posted by Pok):
"Sex Kick" - another somewhat stupid name but in common use. An (aerial) attack which has a constant hitbox over time. An example would be Luigi's N-air. Some sex kicks have animations despite the hitbox not moving.

Thanks man.

I'm still prolly missing alot...so...yeah.

"The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it."
Last edited by Squid, 10:37 AM on Apr 03, 2008
10:50 AM Apr 3 2008 2008
CyrusFuL
Popular

kudos for this guide squid.
1:36 PM Apr 3 2008 2008
purpletreefactory

wow, thanks for posting this, a lot of these I did not know.
6:10 PM Apr 3 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

No problem. Just trying to do my part.
10:11 PM Apr 3 2008 2008
Locke
Veteran
Locke rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Locke is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Helpful guide, I really can't think of any terms you might have missed...

Anyway, nice job, I think this'll help people looking to know what everyone is saying.
2:37 PM Apr 4 2008 2008
dmbrandon
Not my Vice-President
dmbrandon passed a Tournament Host Certification test.dmbrandon rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.dmbrandon rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.dmbrandon is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.dmbrandon did something funny.dmbrandon impressed a staff member by doing something smart.dmbrandon wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

Quote (originally posted by SephirothKen):
Finsh, shut up. Hyphen Smashing is the coolest name that has ever been thought up.

l2 not make stuff up.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but yay!  I made that name!
2:39 PM Apr 4 2008 2008
dmbrandon
Not my Vice-President
dmbrandon passed a Tournament Host Certification test.dmbrandon rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.dmbrandon rooted the Green Bay Packers to their fourth Super Bowl win, Favre or no Favre.dmbrandon is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.dmbrandon did something funny.dmbrandon impressed a staff member by doing something smart.dmbrandon wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

Quote (originally posted by Finch):

there was no dashing upsmash.  you could cancel the dash, in melee, with crouching into an upsmash (Mostly used by fox players) or they would JC Upsmash.

Melee doesn't matter anymore.  If you wanna talk **** on people, then prepare to get flamed.  You think I'm retarded, then you should be able to beat me.  If we ever meet at a tournament, I challenge you to a 100$ money match.
Last edited by dmbrandon, 8:15 PM on May 11, 2008
2:48 PM Apr 4 2008 2008
aisight
Ordinary Magician
aisight passed a Tournament Host Certification test.aisight has provided valuable testing services for the website.aisight unleashed the power of love!aisight is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.aisight did something funny.aisight wrote an exemplary guide.aisight was featured in the Host of the Month article series!

But why a special name? I still call it a dashing upsmash, 'cause that's what it is. : \ It's not even that much longer than "hyphen smash," so it's not like you're saving time typing the term, either.
3:15 PM Apr 4 2008 2008
dmbrandon
Not my Vice-President

Quote (originally posted by Ankoku):
But why a special name? I still call it a dashing upsmash, 'cause that's what it is. : \ It's not even that much longer than "hyphen smash," so it's not like you're saving time typing the term, either.

dash smashing sounds stuping.  dashing Usmash takes to long to say, when you need to call out.  In teeeems, if I have a good setup, I can just yell Hyphen, and my teammate knows what to do.

As opposed to:  DASHING UPSMASH PLZ NOW!  I'm a halo player, so getting the easiest names for things is a priority.
3:20 PM Apr 4 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

Alright, I updated this a little bit. Thanks for pointing that stuff out to me, dmbrandon. I didn't know it was you, but I remember reading about it on SWF.

Regarding the Hyphen/Dashing Usmash debate...its simply semantics. The purpose of this guide is to get past the terms and expose what they mean to other players. You can call it what you want.
Last edited by JV_, 2:25 AM on Apr 05, 2008
12:42 AM Apr 5 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

By the way, sorry for the double post. But I updated some more character specific techniques. I need to work on that section, since I know there are more there missing. I don't main everyone, folks.

And if anyone wants to write a good description for Wavebouncing, please, for my sanity's sake do. I don't use B-Sticking, nor do I understand the physics behind wavebouncing.
Last edited by Squid, 12:58 AM on Apr 05, 2008
2:28 AM Apr 5 2008 2008
JV_
Famous
JV_ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.JV_ impressed a staff member by doing something smart.JV_ has referred new users to the site.JV_ wrote an exemplary guide.JV_ wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

Hey great post! I am going to sticky this for now. Hopefully you can keep updating it as things progess. It might look good if you bold the individual item names too.
4:12 PM Apr 5 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

Thanks for the sticky, JV!

Yeah, I was gonna get around to cleaning it up and making it look nicer this weekend.
12:10 AM Apr 6 2008 2008
metroid1117
Friendly
metroid1117 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Quote (originally posted by Squid):
DAC, Dash Attack Cancelling, DLX Hit Cancel, Snakedashing, etc – I’ve heard a bunch of different ways of describing the same thing. Basically, this involves canceling the dash attack with a usmash or utilt. Only a few characters can do this. Most notably, Snake.

Adding this video (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k) might help explaining the technique. Also, DLX Hit Cancel is canceling the END of the dash attack with an USmash; it's a short 2-hit combo in which the dash attack is quickly followed by USmash. I don't know exactly how it works, but this video (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TtxbcqWUQpE) shows what it is.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Jump
rss