Long-term feature list - Stuff we want to add eventually

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2 3
2:17 PM Apr 2 2008 2008
Squid
Popular

I'm a programmer...thats why I asked. I'm busy with college currently, but I'm on Summer break in about a month.
Last edited by Squid, 2:18 PM on Apr 02, 2008
1:51 PM May 3 2008 2008
ShiroiKen

It would be interesting, for tio, to have an option to automatically set the matches to TVs, so the user could run a tourney just seeing what's happening in which TV.

Whenever a match was settled, the user could just click on the corresponding TV, insert the result, and automatically a new match would be set to that TV.

If well implemented, if the user wanted other match to happen on that TV, there would be an option to it...

Quote (originally posted by nealdt):
It's hard to find time to work on it icon_sad. I really need another programmer...

If you're seriously searching for programmers, I'd like to help too.
9:01 PM May 13 2008 2008
Emmy
Mind Whore
Emmy is a shameless mind whore who gets mindgamed by everyone.Emmy rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.Emmy is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Emmy did something funny.Emmy impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Emmy wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!

Quote (originally posted by Ryura):
Thanks for the response.
I mean non bracketed. After every round your opponent is randomly seeded again.

ie: I have eight players, a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h.

My initial pairings bracket looks like this
a vs b
c vs d
e vs f
g vs h

But next round, winner of a vs b won't necessarily play the winner of c vs d. He could play the winner of any match.

If there's knockouts eventually, looks like Swiss seeding.  (where a few rounds of Swiss are played to seed the bracket for an elimination tournament)

If there's no knockouts, that looks like a regular Swiss tournament.

I'd like to see Swiss tournament option on tio.  icon_smile  It'll allow me to do something new for seeding, or for smashfests.
7:34 AM May 21 2008 2008
Exhalent
Friendly

I am interested in programming something for tio, neadlt. I probably will not be able to program it until after school is over though...
12:41 PM Jun 2 2008 2008
DGMavn
In the Spotlight

If you need programmers to work on the .NET stuff, let me know - I can try and help you out. How many programmers do you have working on this at the moment,  anyway?

-DGM
9:42 AM Jul 21 2008 2008
Techno-Vegas
Techno-Vegas is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Combination seeding based on location and pools!
1:49 AM Jul 22 2008 2008
Sudai
Sudai is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

I have a fairly simple suggestion.

I feel adding ELO rankings would benefit local tourney host a lot. It'd be as simple as switching the integer variable for 'skill' to say 'Elo score' and widen the range of integers it could use. Basically, the idea would be for all players to start with the same initial score when added to the player list.  Then in conjunction with this, after each match is played, TIO could calculate a player's new ELO score. This would really only be useful once importing players (or player databases) is reimplemented. It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement options for the user to the universal starting points (but it would be crucial that starting scores remain the same for everyone) and to choose a K value (this should be pretty standard and not change once put in, but I'm sure some TOs would still like the option to choose their K value).

I know this wouldn't be really useful for the larger tournaments, but I think something like this would be great for local power rankings and seeding.

Link for ELO calculations and common K values: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

As a side question, why exactly was importing players removed as a functionality?
Last edited by Sudai, 1:51 AM on Jul 22, 2008
4:24 AM Jul 31 2008 2008
UnderWing
UnderWing is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Hey Neal... I'd love to lend a helping hand with the programming, I've got a decent amount of C# .NET programming under my belt, as well as some experience with Mono for porting .NET apps to OS X. I obviously haven't seen your code, but it doesn't /seem/ like it'd have anything that Mono doesn't cover. Completely understand that that's not really a priority, but hey, if you need another programmer... icon_razz

Anyway, what I was gonna write here were a couple ideas you may want to think about. While Tio's multi-monitor support is good, there are times (especially at larger tournaments I've been to) where 10 people want to find themselves on the bracket, and the TO is way too busy to help any of them. A solution, primarily applicable at larger tournaments where this would be realistic, might be to have a separate "Viewer" computer that lets people see the brackets and such, without editing privileges, running on a separate machine. I suspect this is already possible simply by sharing the save file over a network, and opening it in a read-only fashion on a second computer in Tio, but that might be clunky.

A separate viewer app might be overkill, though, and limited in use. Another solution might be simply to have a web server built into Tio, or a PHP script that reads Tio's latest save file, and serves up a web version of the same. This could let the TO's computer become a server, and anyone with a device/computer that could connect to the same wifi network (ipod touch/psp/laptop/iphone) could then just browse the bracket on their own time. If the TO was really nice, they could even supply a community one as well.

I *may* have already started looking at the save file format for exactly this reason... icon_razz. This would take a fair amount of time that would probably be better spent working on other features, but if it's all done in PHP, Neal wouldn't even have to worry about it.

Another little project I've been thinking about is a web registration form that automatically saves registrants as players to be imported into the global list. This isn't something I think Neal would want to work on /at all/, but it'd be pretty nifty to be able to have people show up and already have their names in the system (even without having attended in the past).

EDIT: Just read that the problem with Mono was a non-supported class (GdipCreateFontFamilyFromName)... still would be willing to invest some time in a potential workaround/fix, even if it may not end in success. What's there to lose, right? icon_razz
Last edited by UnderWing, 4:55 AM on Jul 31, 2008
1:55 PM Sep 22 2008 2008
Sporto

little something... have it generate tournament results in htm text for easy posting on ppls websites, forums, etc...
3:44 PM Oct 20 2008 2008
Vicko
Bonafide
Vicko passed a Tournament Host Certification test.Vicko is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Vicko impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

something that I just thought of:
For tournaments that seed based on power rankings, be able to start with seeded matches and enter additional entrants as necessary. This gets harder to do when you seed 16 people and then try to add more people into the tournament. I end up having to rename people as they enter while using last week's brackets (I run weekly tournaments).
Maybe if we could start with a bracket size of our choice, and then shrink later if possible.

OR

If we could enter rankings into a separate list, and then tio automatically seeds them along with the other entrants into the bracket, so they will always go into the same spot!
5:40 PM Oct 23 2008 2008
Knuttz
Advocate
Knuttz is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Knuttz has referred new users to the site.

Quote (originally posted by UnderWing):

A separate viewer app might be overkill, though, and limited in use. Another solution might be simply to have a web server built into Tio, or a PHP script that reads Tio's latest save file, and serves up a web version of the same. This could let the TO's computer become a server, and anyone with a device/computer that could connect to the same wifi network (ipod touch/psp/laptop/iphone) could then just browse the bracket on their own time. If the TO was really nice, they could even supply a community one as well.

I actually really Like the web service Idea. Would be GREAT for large scale tournaments for both entrants, and onlookers. People can check on really any web browser, which gives options for laptops, PDA's of multiple OS's. Basically your site is a viewable "proxy". The Idea is to that you can see active matches, win's losses, current standings(people who are already out), and the bracket.  icon_smile  Give users an option to show active tournaments, and make it viewable by all or even with an optional authentication for "private" tournaments.
"Did you know your girlfriend has a baby? " -Wikepedia

http://www.allisbrawl.com/video/album.aspx?id=649
1:27 AM Dec 24 2008 2008
_OraNoS_
Friendly
_OraNoS_ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Any plans to add a visual representation of played-out rankings? (and an option to have this on)

as in 3rd place in single elimination, or 5th & 7th place games in double elim., etc.? I know I can use the 'break ties' feature, but clicking on names while the bracket is still up is handy. There should be plenty of space around the basic bracket to stuff it in somewhere..

*Edit* Would it be possible to add a feature to advance people from a single/double elimination bracket to another single/double elimination bracket? And whoever mentioned cemented seeds on a bracket had a great suggestion.

*NEW STUFF Dec. 2009*
*Edit#2* What I was talking about (in the first edit) would be something similar to how EVO runs "pools" at their main tournament, where they avoid round robin to increase the speed of the tournament. They play until there is a winner from the winners' and losers' side, and advance each of these into a new, larger bracket with all of the other players to advance (keeping losers' bracket players in losers'). I wanted to see if you could add something like this as a 4th option (other than single elim., double elim., & round robin) with more flexibility at release or in the future. This flexibility would include the option to create multiple, small brackets in one event to advance players from a "pool" in a different way. I'm hoping for an option to adjust how many advance from these "pools" and whether or not to advance those from the losers' side in losers or just use the placings from the smaller bracket to seed a larger bracket (and use a set cutoff to knock out some players, if needed). In the case of smaller groups (4 players or less), it results in a "pool" system that is either the same length or possibly longer if it is played until the end and the losers' side player wins against the unbeaten at least once. However, larger groups in this format can result in a shorter system to find the players who should advance, while still allowing the entrants to play one another to prove who should advance. It can be even shorter if you cut it when you have determined who is top 4 (or whatever requirement to advance), but there should probably be some tiebreaker set to reward those who had played out their bracket "pool" over those who agreed to stop early. (i.e. 2 players in the mini bracket's winners' final should probably be seeded under a player who was willing to risk his established position and won his bracket "pool" outright)

[If you aren't aware of the general idea of how this works, look here for details that explain it]

(I'm hoping this would be simple enough to implement because it should be possible to tweak the already established bracket feature into this format, with some effort)
Last edited by _OraNoS_, 1:27 AM on Dec 22, 2009
7:24 PM Feb 4 2009 2009
Supernova757
Veteran
Supernova757 is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Hey, Neal. Does anyone help you in making progress with t.i.o. Or do you do it on your own. Because it said stuff "we" want to add eventualy. (Just curious).
8:54 PM Mar 24 2009 2009
Knuttz
Advocate
Knuttz is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Knuttz has referred new users to the site.

Here are some quick ideas for the long term:

1. Importing users from your website(and sister websites) as a .tio file for player lists for your tournament, As well as uploading The games as well as tournaments.

2. Change the Location to 3 separate fields instead of 1 for players. (city,state,country) And separate out accordingly. (wow again, possibly using

3. Implement seasons and custom point rankings in tio. (Like what tourneyplay does in Washington)

4. "Taking the Uploading tournaments to the tio file to load from the website" A little further, Have new options when creating a tournament (smash related) for singles/teams. Also, Give options for attending the tournament on which events they will be attending as well. (again with more auto import options).

5. Saving "Official" tournament results of officially marked tournaments when importing players to help give an accurate skill level when "importing"(using some kind of rankings system similar to whats on the site for the ladder)

6. 5 would require Instead of a single individual "skill" level for individuals, but skill level Per-Game, as well as games played. icon_smile

7. Filtering the "Per Game" for the individuals as well.

8. Player Searching and Attaching for teams.

9. If teams are played, giving an option for agreeing on teams on the site as well, partnering them together. (so you have your list of attendees on the left, you would also have a list of teams and possibly crews with a number between lets say 4-10). (like a mini group that is invite only that is attached to the tournament)

I think thats it right know, I ran out of free time. :/
Last edited by Knuttz, 8:59 PM on Mar 24, 2009
9:49 PM May 2 2009 2009
Firestorm
Advocate
Firestorm has referred new users to the site.

Allow us to set different skill levels for any one player for different games. SSB64, Melee, and Brawl for example at the same tournament could use different skill levels.

And bring back the pop-up window for viewing brackets on an external device.
2:46 AM Sep 10 2009 2009
YoshQ
Staff Slayer
YoshQ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Quote (originally posted by ShiroiKen):
It would be interesting, for tio, to have an option to automatically set the matches to TVs, so the user could run a tourney just seeing what's happening in which TV.

Whenever a match was settled, the user could just click on the corresponding TV, insert the result, and automatically a new match would be set to that TV.

If well implemented, if the user wanted other match to happen on that TV, there would be an option to it...

I REALLY think this would be a beneficial feature. I just ran a tournament and I figured it was already there, it was suprising it wasn't. What's the point of inputting the stations even if it won't do anything with them. This is a major organizational feature, where players can simply meet at the tv instead of having to find each other and pick a tv manually.

Quote (originally posted by Knuttz):
8. Player Searching and Attaching for teams.

and this, where you hover your mouse over the team name and get the players. In my tourney, people were constantly walking around shouting, "Who's 'fobia's calf muscles' " and such.

Also since you're so popular you could simply make a blog looking for new programmers.
1:29 PM Sep 11 2009 2009
nealdt
Bonafide
nealdt created the "All is" network, "possibly the best thing since sliced bread."nealdt passed a Tournament Host Certification test.nealdt has provided valuable testing services for the website.nealdt is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.nealdt made significant contributions to all areas of the website!nealdt did something funny.nealdt impressed a staff member by doing something smart.nealdt has referred new users to the site.nealdt wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!nealdt helped a member with a problem.nealdt keeps people entertained by hosting fun events.

Yosh:

What Shiroi is looking for is essentially an auto-run feature. What you're suggesting is already supported. If stations are set up, all you need to do is right click a match and select "In progress"; you will be asked to assign the match to a station and from there can track who's playing at which television (and announce this assignment to the attendees).

As for the team player names, there's currently a "show player names" check box on bracket screens that will toggle between a team's nickname and its players on the bracket view itself. I'll be extending that feature to show more player properties (like locations and skill levels), but it's been there from the beginning.
4:42 PM Sep 11 2009 2009
YoshQ
Staff Slayer
YoshQ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

Ok thanks neal, I see that now. Also, I know there's a show players option, but part of the humor of picking a hilarious team name is to actually see the name. It would be easier for players, I think, just to be able to hover over the team name and see the players' names. You could then press the show players names if for some reason you were interested in their location and skill level.
1:01 PM Oct 6 2009 2009
Mijikai20
Almost Famous

So about how long would you estimate it would take to get a function to run a tournament that involves FFAs? I just had an interesting idea for one the other night and am looking forward to it once it's feasible.
1:29 AM Dec 22 2009 2009
_OraNoS_
Friendly
_OraNoS_ is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.

I edited my earlier post to add some detail, but I wanted to know if there is currently anything in the works for a future update to tio? (and hopefully another detailed news story about it, to explain all of it)

I wish it wasn't such a big blob of text, so send me a PM if it's confusing :\ I'll try and make an effort to split it properly at a later time.
Page: 1 2 3

Quick Jump
rss