Comboing Gameplay to Youtube Video - a guide to capturing smash vids, and putting them on Youtube

Subscribe to this topic.

Topic

Page: 1 2
10:24 PM Dec 21 2008 2008
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r
SCOTU passed a Tournament Host Certification test.SCOTU is the Supreme Commander of the Universe.SCOTU rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.SCOTU is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.SCOTU did something funny.SCOTU impressed a staff member by doing something smart.SCOTU has referred new users to the site.SCOTU wrote an exemplary guide.SCOTU wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!SCOTU was featured in the Host of the Month article series!

Yeah, I'm here to help!
1:19 AM Jan 15 2009 2009
Kuro
Sand Crab
Kuro wrote an exemplary guide.Kuro wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!Kuro did something funny.Kuro impressed a staff member by doing something smart.

Okay, I have these things now:

- KWorld DVD Maker USB 2800
- 3 RCA splitters
- Installed the v1.0 driver that came with the CD
- Installed the codecs you recommended above
- Installed the latest stable release of VirtualDub (v1.8.8 or something)

Problems:

- I get horizontal lines whenever there's movement - There is no "Enable RGB filtering" option under the video tab.
- The compression format I have selected is "DivXR 5.2.1 Codec" - 640x480
- It seems to capture at around 29.97 FPS, which seems slow, and sometimes the audio / video goes out of sync and on a few occasions the video seemed sped up / glitchy as well.

Do you have any recommendations?

My main concern is the horizontal lines whenever there's movement... it makes it pretty hard to watch altogether. I also noticed that the capture seemed smoother when I turned off the overlay preview and made the program's window size smaller.
2:19 AM Jan 15 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r
SCOTU passed a Tournament Host Certification test.SCOTU is the Supreme Commander of the Universe.SCOTU rooted for the $208,097,414 New York Yankees 2009 championship team.SCOTU is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.SCOTU did something funny.SCOTU impressed a staff member by doing something smart.SCOTU has referred new users to the site.SCOTU wrote an exemplary guide.SCOTU wrote a blog entry that was featured on the site!SCOTU was featured in the Host of the Month article series!

hm, i guess some things have changed in the menu's since the version i had when i wrote this.

when in capture mode:
Video > Filter Chain > Enable
Video > Filter Chain > Filter list... : add Deinterlace (blend Fields together)

That will fix the lines on motion.

That fps is actually the signal speed that brawl outputs in, per NTSC standard.

Occasionally the audio/ video can start out of sync. If that happens, when you're splitting games (i.e. not capture mode), you can go to Audio > Interleaving : "Delay Audio Track by" and giving it your best guess at the amount of desynch (which you can then adjust finer after hearing your first guess, etc...)
If the audio gets more desynched as time progresses, ensure that both your audio hardware device (i.e. right clicking the sound system tray icon > recording devices in vista) and the (in capture video mode) Audio > Raw Capture Format have the same sampling rate (in Hz).

That will fix the audio desynch.

Video being "glitchy" or "skippy" is just your cpu taking a **** sometimes. Make sure you're running VDub w/ as little background processes as you can.
2:35 PM Apr 16 2009 2009
Mr.Ious

Hope someone can help me...I got the KWorld DVD Maker yesterday, but it isn't being recognised as a video source in virtualdub.
I plugged the composite cables straight from the Wii into the device, plugged that into the laptop, installed driver, and then restarted. After the restart I see a new icon in my system tray for "BDA TV monitor", and the DVD maker is being recognised as "USB 2860 Device" in the device manager, which is correct according to the manual. Driver version 5.7.129.0, date 29/01/2007.
Is there a newer driver you guys are using, or is it possibly I got a faulty one?

Also, do I need to do anything with the big button on it? The box only came with a "Quick Start Guide" and doesn't really explain how to start capturing anything =/
4:34 PM Apr 16 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r

I'm assuming you're using XP or Vista. The button on it really has nothing to do w/ vid capture (it's some silly picture taking utility). I'm also assuming you installed the driver off of the disk that came with it? My driver info is the same as that, and by eMPIA Technology.

If you go to virtualDub, and File->Capture AVI
and then go to Device-> (there should be a USB 2860 (Direct Show) here, do you get that?)
if you did have that last option, go to video->video source->video composite, and your input video should be showing up.

If none of that works, what version of VirtualDub are you using? Make sure it's at least 1.8.6 (what i'm currently using, but i know someone who downloaded the latest as of last week and it worked fine).
6:29 PM Apr 17 2009 2009
Mr.Ious

Both your assumptions are right - I'm on XP, and just installed the driver straight off the disk exactly as the instructions said (plug in AV Source to DVD Maker, plug DVD Maker in to PC, insert CD, click Install Driver).

I do the File -> Capture AVI, but when choosing a device afterwards it says "No Video sources available" =/
I'm on VirtualDub 1.8.8, and have also tried it with 1.6.17 (Old version I already had installed on PC).

I'm going to try running it with the bundled software just to see if it's a faulty device and then try to move on from there...
11:42 AM Apr 19 2009 2009
Mr.Ious

I figured out that my PC came with other video capture drivers/devices already on it (3 others!) so that's why I wasn't getting the DVD Maker by default...I can now select it in VirtualDub, but it doesn't capture any video/audio, so I tried out in the bundled software and it only captures left audio!
I'm going to mess around with the options a bit to see if I can get it working, but think I might need a replacement, because capturing only 1 of the 2 audio inputs seems a little broken.
2:28 PM Apr 19 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r

the video and the audio are two separate things in that device. The video source is actively converted to some USB stream, while the audio is simply passively converted from rca to stereo-headphone. For the video, try messing around with settings; see if you can get it to work. For audio, make sure the stereo jack is in all the way. Sometimes they look all the way in, but aren't and only give 1 of the channels. Also, if you highly suspect that your dvd maker is broken (w/ only respect to audio), try using a stereo RCA to stereo-headphone converter if you have one (since that's the same thing in the DVD maker, except probably without a long chord). If it gives you the same problem, it's something on your computer's end.
6:00 PM Apr 22 2009 2009
Mr.Ious

I've managed to get the audio working (in a roundabout way, thanks for the advice) but video is refusing to co-operate. I tried a couple other capture programs and one of them said the device was not responding properly. I saved the avi that I was recording anyway, but when I tried to play it back, it crashed the main explorer process after just selecting the file =o
I spoke to the customer service team of where I got it today, and they have the most awesome returns policy ever - because the value was under a certain amount, they're refunding directly to my account, and letting me keep the DVD Maker!
12:56 AM Apr 23 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r

cool! Well, I hope you have better luck finding a working device next time.
8:27 PM Apr 28 2009 2009
Wherewolf
Scavenger
Wherewolf is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Wherewolf did something funny.Wherewolf impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Wherewolf contributed to the Stadium community.

SCOTU, I downloaded the codec Pack, but VDub doesn't let me use them when I go to Compression. Where do I put the pack?

i'm stupid.
Last edited by Wherewolf, 9:16 PM on Apr 28, 2009
9:13 PM Apr 30 2009 2009
Enochuout
Too Good
Enochuout is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Enochuout did something funny.Enochuout wrote an exemplary guide.

Quote (originally posted by SCOTU):
when in capture mode:
Video > Filter Chain > Enable
Video > Filter Chain > Filter list... : add Deinterlace (blend Fields together)

That will fix the lines on motion.

The above solution hasn't stopped the motion lines in my recording. I'm about at my wits end trying to figure this out myself, so if you've got some other advice, please voice it.

Thanks.
2:55 PM May 6 2009 2009
Mr.Ious

Quote (originally posted by Enochuout):
The above solution hasn't stopped the motion lines in my recording. I'm about at my wits end trying to figure this out myself, so if you've got some other advice, please voice it.

Thanks.

I had this same problem at first and managed to get around it by applying the deinterlace filter in edit mode, after capturing the video.
To do this, load up VirtualDub, File -> Open video file, and then go to Video -> Filters -> Add deinterlace, and Video -> Compression -> Choose a codec (I didn't do this the first time and it defaulted to "Uncompressed" giving me a 4 GB file!). Finally, just File -> Save as AVI

Hope that works for you too!
5:59 PM May 6 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r

Note that the deinterlace filter doesn't affect the preview, but does take effect when you save the video, although, I'm sure that's not the case with what you're saying; just for others if they happen to read through this.

I'm not really sure what could possibly be the difference between our setups, But if the scan lines are there without a deinterlace, and they're the same with the deinterlace, it doesn't seem like that's the issue. You could also always try messing around with the bob doubler filter (only after you've captured the video and are just editing it). That uses the interlaced fields to double the framerate and also results in a lack of visible scanlines.
3:26 PM May 24 2009 2009
Wherewolf
Scavenger
Wherewolf is connected in the Six Degrees of Smash web.Wherewolf did something funny.Wherewolf impressed a staff member by doing something smart.Wherewolf contributed to the Stadium community.

I have my Wii's Red, White, and Yellow cords plugged directly into the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2800, which is plugged into my computer. I don't get sound though. The headphone.. thing.. is in. I can just add music, but I'd like to figure out what's wrong.
4:14 PM May 24 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r

when hooking the DVD Maker up to your computer, make sure that the non-USB cord goes to a MICROPHONE in on your computer/sound card. In virtualDub, try selecting different Audio Sources until you find the right one.
11:22 PM Jul 9 2009 2009
PSS
PSS helped a member with a problem.

That was very helpful. Thank you.
11:11 PM Jul 11 2009 2009
SlickSP502
Addicted to Wifi

Errr, I don't seem to have the compression codecs you mentioned such as the audio's "LAME mp3" or the video's "DivX" codec. Care to help me out on this?
Last edited by SlickSP502, 11:33 PM on Jul 11, 2009
11:25 AM Jul 13 2009 2009
SCOTU
1337 h4x0r

LAME MP3: http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/install_lame.htm

DivX: http://www.divx.com/en/win
Page: 1 2

Quick Jump
rss